• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Postby Mielo » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi all

It has been over 6 years since I last shut down my 10 footer. Its been hell suffering the withdrawal symptoms, but I am finally back. I purchased a second hand ex display fully equipped Octagon tank from an LFS.

System Objectives: A beautiful, FOWLR or healthy reef system. (Not sure yet)

Strike up Date: TBC

Display Tank: 1100 x 1100 x 900 15mm glass Weir situated in middle of the tank with 3 x 25mm, 2 x 32mm holes

Display Lighting: (Work in Progress)

Stand: Came with tank but will be replaced

Hood: Came with tank but will be replaced

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Flow of the return pumps

Return Pump: Aquamedic 6500 Ocean Runner x 2

Skimmer: Aqua Medic Turbofloater Multi SL 1000

Heaters: 3 x 300w Jager

Evaporation Top Up: DIY auto topup

RO filtration: 4 stage reverse osmosis wall mount unit with an De-ionization post filter

Live Rock: TBC

TANK

WEIR
As mentioned above, the tank has a central weir with 3 x 25mm holes and 2 32mm holes (see pics below)

At the LFS, 2 of the 25mm holes (end ones) were used for gravity feeding the sump and one in the middle was used to run an electrical wire from the roof to supply electricity to the equipment in the sump. I will most probably use the middle one for the electrical wire, but was considering installing a Herbie system with the other two holes (Thoughts?)

The LFS ran 2 x 6500 Aquamedic Ocean runners and each was allocated to a 32mm hole for the return. That must of been some serious flow in the tank via the 4 x 20mm outlet at the top of the weir (see pic below) I will most probably continue with this return system. The return connections have a ball valve connected to control the flow

RETURN CONNECTIONS

SUMP
The sump provided was more geared for housing all the equipment with bioballs (see pic below) so I am in the process of redesigning the sump to incorporate a refugium on one side, sump on the other and the return pump in the middle. All three compartment will be separated by baffles to trap any bubbles.

My 10 footer I had previously was a great success mainly due to the invaluable feedback/advise received from you guys on MASA, so please any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Mielo on Wed 07 Dec, 2016 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Re: Mielo's 1200 ltr Octogan Tank Journal

Postby wayne2.0 » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 3:06 pm

With a Tank of this design, I can't help thinking to watch the fish swim in an endless loop as such would be great.

With the depth you are going to need some good lights, and long arms to clean it lol
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Postby Mielo » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 2:08 pm

I was busy cleaning the tank on the inside when I saw that the glass tubing placed in some of the joins were damaged (See 2nd pic above). As you can see (sorry for the mess in the background) that the bottom part of the glass tubing is broken and there are pretty sharp edges protruding. The one in the pic is one of the worst ones, there are another two tubes that has been slightly damaged but the rest appear in tact. I guess it comes with the territory when buying a secondhand tank. The issue I have is that this could potentially hurt my livestock in the tank or worst still could affect the integrity of the water tight seal between the two pieces of glass.

I mentioned this to the LFS and he confirmed the tubing is just there for aesthetic purposes and all I have to do is cover it with some silicone to cover up the sharp edges.

I realise that you guys are not tank builders but any feedback would be appreciated.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 2:41 pm

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas on how to aquascape this tank? I have read through a few journals but there are none that considers a central weir.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 5:16 pm

When I was in WA a decade or so ago one member had a large square tank with a central weir. He had secured the live rock around the weir so it looked like a wall of rock then had shelf's coming out for extra coral spot if I remember correctly.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Mielo » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 8:42 am

wayne2.0 wrote:When I was in WA a decade or so ago one member had a large square tank with a central weir. He had secured the live rock around the weir so it looked like a wall of rock then had shelf's coming out for extra coral spot if I remember correctly.

Hi Wayne

Do you perhaps have any idea how he secured the Liverock to the weir?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 12:16 pm

20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Mielo » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 1:18 pm

wayne2.0 wrote:20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.

Thank you Wayne :thumbsup:
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 5:00 pm

wayne2.0 wrote:20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.

Something similar to this?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 1:27 pm

Need some advise on the overflow:

I am contemplating going with the Bean Animal or Herbie overflow!

As the pic above, I have 3 X 25mm holes & 2 x 32mm holes. The middle 25mm hole will be used to run an electrical wire from the roof to supply electricity to the equipment in the sump. My understanding is that the Herbie only requires 2 holes and with the two 25mm holes left I can go with the Herbie overflow.

If I however want to go with the Bean Animal (which requires 3 holes right?), I will have to use the middle hole for the Bean Animal and find another way to get electricity to the sump.

The 2 x 32mm holes will be for the return where I am still deciding if I should hook up 2 independent 6500 Aqua medic pumps or just feed both holes with 1 x Laguna Maxflo 9000 for the return.

Any advise/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 4:51 pm

Which way did you decide to go?
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Mielo » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:52 am

wayne2.0 wrote:Which way did you decide to go?

I am still not 100% sure at the moment. I have created another post where I am receiving some invaluable information:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=267497
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 3:32 pm

I am contemplating a reef setup and was considering splitting the tank into 4 sections, making each section different in terms of scape and livestock.

Side 1 (Primary Side): Caves -- As many caves using the width between the glass and the weir.

Side 2: Acro/SPS -- Shallow reefs emphasizing the coral, so a bunch of branch work is nice and easy, allowing me to place a colony on each individual branch tip/end. Additionally, it shouldn't impede flow.

Side 3: Vertical Walls -- Built high and kept tight to the weir. Making the tallest parts thinner than the mid parts, mid parts thinner than the bottom, and bottom Widest (Front to back width) it will look like a vertical drop off into deep water. This side could house gorgonians and seagrasses (depending on how deep the light will penetrate),etc.

Side 4: LPS deep reef -- Huge sweeping corals here,like giant hammer colonies, torch colonies, etc etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby roboreefer » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 3:02 pm

Lovely looking tank, I'm looking forwards to watching your build.

I'll throw my 2 cents in about the overflow. In my experience, it's usually best to use the larger diameter holes for the gravity drains and the smaller ones for the pressure returns from the pumps to reduce the chances of flooding. If I was in your situation I'd probably set up a bean animal using a 25 as the full siphon line, and 32's for the open channel and emergency overflow lines. I'd go with one return line (with in tank flow pumps) and the conduit for cables.

I used a bean animal overflow on my last tank and never needed the emergency overflow (i.e. a herbie would have been fine) but I liked having it there just in case.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Pratchett
roboreefer
Centurion Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 10:18 pm

Well......Its been over 3 years now since my last post and I think its high time that I dust off the tank and set it up. In all honesty, I was actually prompted after my cousin decided to disassemble his 4fter after having for over 8 years. I have basically taken everything including his livestock, i.e. 12cm Yellow tang, 15cm Blue tang, 15cm Navarchus Angel and two breeding ocellaris clowns. Over a 2 month period, I have set up a two temporary tanks (using some of his liverock and livesand) and brought the fish home one by one over a 4 week period.

My cousin's tank is currently running with no live stock, just a few pieces of live rock, live sand and a DSB to keep all the beneficial bacteria alive. I am planning to start dismantling his tank now that the livestock is safe. My plan is to take his 3ft sump and leave the 8year old DSB as is and try to transport it with just enough water to cover the DSB and set it up temporarily. As the Octagon is not ready yet, I will place the sump under the octagon and just let the sump run on its own with a heater and recirculating pump to try and maintain the health of the DSB.

I will then take all his existing water, live sand and live rock and place it in the octagon and let it run with a heater and some power heads, not connecting it yet with the weir as the water of the 4ft (roughly 350lts) should only fill the octagon by just under a third. This is apparently good as I have been told that the tank should not be filled completely first time round due it standing so long without water. I have been informed that I should do it gradually, to mitigate the chance of a potential disaster (tank leak) so I will fill the tank over a 3 week period and hope for the best, I will then connect the plumbing and link up the weir to the sump and let it run for about 4-6 weeks, then gradually introduce the fish over another 3 week period.

This is my thought process, but I thought I would post it here and try and tap into the wealth of knowledge here on this forum to see if this plan could work. Any feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Fri 08 Jan, 2021 2:59 pm

Update....I did exactly what I described in the previous post and all went well! Its been over 5 months now and the fish are really enjoying all the swimming space in the Octagon. Now I need to work on the finishing the cabinet and hood. I am also now looking to stock up the octagon with more livestock! Would love to get a Pomacanthus Paru. (French Angel)
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:11 am

What did you decide on with the plumbing? I would lean towards running two return pumps should such an option be available for redundancy however there is always power consumption considerations.

So where is the stand at? You've kept the skeleton I presume and are planning on recladding?

Pics pics pics pics :poke:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 1:01 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:What did you decide on with the plumbing? I would lean towards running two return pumps should such an option be available for redundancy however there is always power consumption considerations.

So where is the stand at? You've kept the skeleton I presume and are planning on recladding?

Pics pics pics pics :poke:

Hey CheezotheClown

With regard to the plumbing, I had to go with the Herbie style overflow for the simple reason that I could not fit the Durso type head within the overflow area. I setup it up as follows:
- 1 x 32mm used for the primary drain with an adjusting valve
- 1 x 32mm blocked off for later use (not sure for what at this moment)
- 2 x 25mm used for the return (one for each return pump). I went with the two return pumps (Fluval SP4 & Laguna 9000) and it going good so far
- 1 x 25mm for the emergency standpipe

I do have a 3000lt storage tank and a 1000lt IBC outside that I will be plumbing to the main tank which will make filling the tank after water changes as easy as a flick of a switch.

With regard to the old stand, I dismantled it chucked it. I had a solid steel stand build for the tank. I did keep the canopy's wooden skeleton and I am contemplating covering the stand and canopy with black perpex.

I cannot load anymore pics at the moment as photobucket wants me to start paying for hosting and I am not sure if its worth it. If anyone knows of another website where photos can be loaded for free, please let me know.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 4:48 pm

So is the 3000L storage part of the system or as the name implies, storage?

I've given up with PB. I've recently switched over to imgur.com and works a treat. Easy to upload, resize as part of the UL and link with auto copy of the bb code. You can't upload using the mobile app but if you have an Andriod with browser that allows you to load the desktop site then uploads can be direct from your device.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 8:38 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:So is the 3000L storage part of the system or as the name implies, storage?

I've given up with PB. I've recently switched over to imgur.com and works a treat. Easy to upload, resize as part of the UL and link with auto copy of the bb code. You can't upload using the mobile app but if you have an Andriod with browser that allows you to load the desktop site then uploads can be direct from your device.

The 3000lt water tank & 1000lt IBC is storage for my Natural Salt Water for water changes.

Thanks mate, I will check out imgur.com!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 04 May, 2021 2:46 pm

Current stock at the moment:
- Majestic Angel (16cm)
- Blue Tang (16cm)
- Yellow Tang (13cm)
- 2 x Occy clowns
- 6 x Pajama Cardinals
- Coral Beauty
- Mandarin dragonet
- Bubble Tip Anemone
- 3 x Ricordia
- 3 x different Leather corals
- Heaps of mushrooms
- Torch Coral

Still have heaps of space in my tank...I am looking for more fish - so if you are planning on a change or fish is too big for your tank....Let me know!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby drewgon » Sat 08 May, 2021 8:23 pm

Waiting for some Pics Mielo!
drewgon
RTAW Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 11 May, 2021 8:34 am

drewgon wrote:Waiting for some Pics Mielo!

Will do drewgon

Just still sorting out a provider to host the pics.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sat 29 May, 2021 12:29 pm

Added new fish to the tank:
- Royal Gramma
- Fiji/Bicolor Foxface
- Foxface
- Lawnmower Blenny
- Cleaner Shrimp

All the above came from a tank shutdown. The two foxfaces have always been together and appears to be really hitting it off with the other tank inhabitants.

Next on the wish list is a juvenile Pomacathus Paru (French Angel)
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 29 May, 2021 9:10 pm

I think I saw one at Majestic Aq last weekend. It looked to be just coming out of juvi colours but everything in that tank looked like it may be a bit hit and miss so expect a long QT stint to health.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)