• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

2 x 6105 with issues

This forum is run by Aquadepot Imports (a MASA Business Partner). Please feel free to use this forum to discuss any topics about products, sales or any general questions you would like us to answer.

Moderator: Moderators

2 x 6105 with issues

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 2:30 pm

Afternoon Graeme,

One of the 6105's I purchased from you (would be out of warranty now I'd suspect) is not working.

I have:
Cleaned the pump. No build up of any sort visable to the eye now.
Used a know good PSU from another pump. The fault remains with the pump.
Used an implellor assembly from a known working pump. The fault remains.
Changed the front housing back to the standard housing. It did have the wide flow shroud.

The impellor seems to spin freely enough (compered to other pumps) and I can't feel any catching or similar.

When i first plug it in it works for about 5 seconds then shuts off. Subsequent attempts of unpluging and plugging back in let it run for a second or so before it stops.

Any idea's? I suppose all thats left is either the motor block or the little connector on the end (that connects to the PSU, controller, etc).

Regards

**EDIT**
I now have 2 pumps that have failed.

The original pump. I have noticed that there is a slight scoring in the barrel where the impellor sits that seems to align with the top of the magnet of the impellor. Could having the pump in the rock have anything to do with it (as the weight of the pump is supported by the shroud, whereas in a bracket the weight is supported by the bracket?) I noticed that the shroud has a little movement and was loose (it has worn out where it attaches to the motor body - it's the cage on the body that has worn - the clips on the shroud seem OK). I have since replaced it with another shroud. When I try and turn it on the pump now it twitches like it is trying to start but can't. Once again it seems to move freely by hand.

The second pump that failed tonight also has a slight scoring in the barrel - same position. It has also spent it's life in a rock, but is slightly newer. The shroud still seemed like a tight fit on this one.

Given my other pumps (held by brackets) don't show any signs of this I really suspect that long term use in the rocks may have contributed. Your thoughts here? My tank was recently moved. Could the wearing have occured in the past, but when I took them out of the rocks, cleaned them and placed them back into the rocks caused this? A slightly different orientation in the rock for example?

Neither of the impellors seem to show any signs of damage.

More importantly how do I go about fixing this? I don't want to shell out for a new motor unless I can have a high level of confidence it will fix the issue.

Any information of help would be appreciated.

Regards.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: 2 x 6105 with issues

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 9:56 pm

Also submitted in Reef Central as Roger may have seen this before.

Thx.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby notsomot » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:09 pm

I think Graeme is still on holidays until the end of the week man
notsomot
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Aquadepot » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 1:04 am

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late reply, yes I had 2 weeks off back tomorrow.

It could be the heat overload sensor inside the motor block. Can you contact me on Monday by Email or phone and we will help you get it sorted. If you would like to talk sooner, I am also available over the weekend on mobile if you would like to email me your contact number.

Regards
Graeme
Aquadepot Imports
info@aquadepot.com.au
http://www.aquadepot.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquadepot-Imports/327760543977587

National Distributors/ADA/ ARKA / AquaPlant Culture / GHL / Neptune=Apex controllers / Kamoer / Korallen-Zucht / Salifert / Tunze /FIRE UltraClear Aquariums
ALL KZ PRODUCTS CAN BE USED WITHOUT ZEOVIT SYSTEM and with any other products
Aquadepot
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Macca_75 » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks Graeme - i can wait until Monday.

As an update, I moved on of the pumps out of the rock and back into the magnet holder. Started first time and has run overnight no issues.

I couldn't try the second as I must have broken one of the ears of the clip when I pulled it from the magnet, but time permitting I will swap them over today.

I tried reseating it back in the rock with no luck. I really think for whatever reason the rock is twisting the body somehow. Not sure why it has started now - but has defintely seen since pulling the pumps from the rock and giving them a vinegar bath (I suspect I am not positioning them in the rock in exactly the same orietation.

Don't get me wrong - I love the rocks to hide the pumps but if this makes them less reliable.....

I'm also game to try the controller again.

Talk Monday and thanks.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby gazman33 » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 8:48 am

Hi Graeme I have a ts24 kit and 1 of the 6105's is doing the exact problem explained in previous posts of this thread. The pump in question starts and stops very rough and the whole assembly shakes in the mount when trying to pump. The impeller spins freely and I have dismantled cleaned the whole pump which I could not find anything wrong with it. I've tried the other power supply and other channels on the 7095 controller but it still has the same issue. Is there something else that I have missed that I can do?

Cheers Gary
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Aquadepot » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Gary,

You can try swapping drive unit over if you have not already, also check the 2 bushings/oring are in place at the bottom of the shaft.

If this does not resolve and its under warranty send it in and I will sort it.

Cheers
Graeme
Aquadepot Imports
info@aquadepot.com.au
http://www.aquadepot.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquadepot-Imports/327760543977587

National Distributors/ADA/ ARKA / AquaPlant Culture / GHL / Neptune=Apex controllers / Kamoer / Korallen-Zucht / Salifert / Tunze /FIRE UltraClear Aquariums
ALL KZ PRODUCTS CAN BE USED WITHOUT ZEOVIT SYSTEM and with any other products
Aquadepot
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby gazman33 » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Graeme following our phone call I tried swapping the impellers and made sure the washers were at the bottom of each impeller assembly, sadly this didn't work either so it looks like I'm going to have to replace the motor block :(. I will give you a call tomorrow to organise this and the 24v chips aswell.

Thanks heaps again mate

Cheers gary
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Aquadepot Imports