• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Review: Sharkman Wave Maker

This forum is run by Guppy's Aquarium Products Online (a MASA Business Partner). Please feel free to use this forum to discuss any topics about products, sales or any general questions you would like us to answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Review: Sharkman Wave Maker

Postby chromus » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 1:11 pm

Product: Sharkman Pumps and Controllers
Manufacturer: International Aquarium Supply
Aust Distributor: AVK/Guppys
Who Stocks it: Guppys

Disclosure:
These pumps were sent to me at no cost to myself by Andries from AVK/Guppys. The request for me to review them was agreed to on the understanding that I will call a spade a spade and the opinion here is mine and formulated based on using the product whether it be good, bad or indifferent. Andries approached me, I have no need for new pumps, my tank is equipped with Vortech MP40W's I have been advised I can keep the pumps post review.

What is it supposed to do?

Move water around your tank in a controllable way, both water volume and direction.

So What comes in the box?

Pumps: Magnetic Base (in sample suction cup only), pump holder, pump.

Power: Supply with clover leaf style socket on the mains side, power cable

Controllers:
Sharkman Control unit.
or
Generic Control Unit

AVK had also supplied a Y splitter cable to allow the 2 sample pumps to be run off
the simple controller

First Impressions

For cheap and cheerfuls these pumps are very well thought out and the build of the samples was very clean. The screw type suction cups are a great concept and well executed. I don't get excited over things like this, but the people who engineered these pumps had taken pretty much every pet hate I have for cheap wave makers and either got rid of the problem or refined it to a point where it was not an issue to worry about.

How do you work this thing?

The instruction manuals are clear with good English, although any reefer who had used any kind of wave maker before would probably only glance through them if they
had a problem.

Taken from the Sharkman website:
Installation Steps:

Step 1. Clean the glass with the plastic scraper provided

Step 2. Make sure the glass is free from Coralline algae or dust

Step 3. Place the clear suction cup at the desired area and press out the air

Step 4. Place the black cover on the suction cup

Step 5. Fasten the pump holder

Step 6. During rotation, keep holding the position of the black cover

Step 7. At least rotate the pump holder for 4 rounds (1440 °)

Step 8. Place the pump into the pump holder

Step 9. Connect the power and start the pump

Note: If you use for a curved glass, it will lose the suction. Please buy our magnet.

Why should I buy it?

This is an offering sitting in with the Sicce and similar pumps price bracket. It has good bang for your $'s, with good build and is well thought out. The difference being that these units are low voltage and as a result can be controlled in more than just on/off.

There is no reason a DIYer couldn't combine an arduino or similar with these pumps and code up flow modes similar to those of vortechs and tunzes by simply plugging the
power supply into 1 side of the circuit and the pump into the other. Thereby modulating the flow in anyway they see fit.

The way the controllers just sit in-line between the power supply and the pump makes the whole system easy to install without having to squeeze large items through tight gaps.

While doing some research on the Sharkman site I spotted a video where the pump was pointed straight up, to build waves in the same way as a wavebox would with the interval controller being used in a short pulse configuration to generate quite spectacular waves. I set it up this way on my tank and got carried away and needed to mop the floor afterwards, but the LPS in my tank certainly seemed to react well to this.

What's it like to use

When Andries first approached me to do the review I did a little bit of research and was expecting an OK product, in reality it's a lot more than OK.

The installation of the rubber suction mount was quick and easy, feeling very secure. No magnet mounts were available for my review, but if they are to the same standard as the rest of the units they should be nice to use.

Controllers:

The interval controller worked intuitively and has been made so that it can be screwed to the stand/hood out of the way. This can support up to 4 pumps via splitter cables.

The Generic 3rd party controller worked well providing the ability to have have alternate on/off control of the pumps. This unit can support up to 4 pumps on each channel via splitter cables.

Final Opinion

The quality of construction is very good and the thought that has gone into fixing the niggles that come with flow pumps like this make this a good bang for $'s product. The flexibility of the variable speed DC motors coupled with the relative safety of low voltage in tank make it more attractive than the 240v equivalents.

It still has what I consider an ugly cable and ball in the tank, but function beats form in this case; without going to a magnetic coupled device these things can't be changed. The plastic welds are all very neat and tidy, the fits are firm and have no slop.

If you can't afford Tunze/Vortech but still want controllable pumps that won't put 240V in to your display these are definite contenders.

Would I buy them? I have a tank full of vortechs already so I probably wouldn't, but for someone setting up from scratch or building a new system these units are hard to look passed, the potential is huge.

They can be a straight up flow maker, or coupled with a Sharkman or Generic controller they can provide basic wave making or wavebox functionality. Coupled with something a bit more sophisticated these units could be just as versatile as their double/triple the price rivals.

The trial unit did show signs of salt intrusion on the power plugs. This can easily be prevented with some tape over the connectors.

Addendum

At the time of writing AVK are investigating the possibility of using these pumps with Tunze controllers, so if you have 1 lying around you might in the future be able to use them together.

Tech Specs

So enough of my rambling, here are the tech specs for those who are into that kind of thing.

I have no method of testing the flow rates, so I can only take the manufacturers word for the numbers. The less than scientific visual comparison to my MP40Ws in similar modes leads me to believe the numbers wouldn't be too far from claims.

Great White Stream Pump
• P4000
• Flow rate: 8,000L/h Max.
• 18-24VDC max.22W

Megalodon Stream Pump
• P5000
• Flow rate: 13,000L/h Max.
• 18-24VDC max.45W

Interval Controller for SharkMan Pump
• Pulse range from 0.02 ~ 2.0 sec
• Adjust for single, double or triple wavelength standing wave
• Adjust for wave magnitude

Chromus.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: Review: Sharkman Wave Maker

Postby biglil_blue » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks Chromus, looks like a good product. Love the mounting design especially and will look into them when I upgrade from my cheapies
biglil_blue
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:41 pm

fongyfong wrote:And yes if they had the magnets would be better suction cups are fail,

Actually this type of suction cap looks good. Wife bought home a couple of products, 1 being a hair dryer holder, that utilise this type of suction cap. I told her it would not stay on but 8 months later the hair dryer is still in place, stuck onto the tiles and is used every day with the hair dryer being pulled out and put back in. The screw seems to pull the suction part out while tightening the outer rim with a cover.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Joshwaaaa » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:52 pm

:withyou:

Pretty much everything in my bathroom is held on by these suction cups, even my towel racks. They work very well
Joshwaaaa
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fongyfong » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 1:31 pm

Rusty1 wrote:
fongyfong wrote:And yes if they had the magnets would be better suction cups are fail,

Actually this type of suction cap looks good. Wife bought home a couple of products, 1 being a hair dryer holder, that utilise this type of suction cap. I told her it would not stay on but 8 months later the hair dryer is still in place, stuck onto the tiles and is used every day with the hair dryer being pulled out and put back in. The screw seems to pull the suction part out while tightening the outer rim with a cover.

If they can hold more then 8 months with all that abuse it must be alright must be pretty strong, but i still prefer the magnets .
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby chromus » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 4:59 pm

Just make sure you keep the little plastic "razor" they come with, otherwise you will NEVER get the cup off the glass :konk:

I now need to take my hood off and dismantle the pumps for cleaning and packing, as they are going to be made available to MASWA members who have pump failures until they can replace them. It's going to be a mission :roflmao:

I went into this review sceptical but they are nice and quiet, and haven't missed a beat in nearly 4 weeks.

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Andries » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 12:44 am

Some good news, these pumps will be available for sale from next week, there will also be a battery backup available soon that will work on the Tunze and SharkMan pumps.
UPS device
complete backup system
Customers will be given the option of a complete backup system or just the UPS device and you supply your own battery pack.
Battery packs that will be available are
• 22.2V 6AH LiFePO4 battery with charger:
LiFePO4 battery, which have 2000 cycles.
• 22V 6AH Lead-Acid type with charger
Up to 6 hours with Megalodon, 9 hours with Great White
Lifetime is 300 cycles, and size is big (L151*W98*H95mm) and weight (4,200g)
Andries
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Locksmiff » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 8:44 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I am wondering if anyone knows the dimensions of the Great White or something I can compare it too. I don't really want to put something the size of a base ball into my tank seeing as the demo videos guys hand fits inside the pump bracket.
Locksmiff
Curious Reefer

Postby chromus » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 7:42 pm

It would be the size of a Tee-ball

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby obsessed1 » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 11:38 pm

The sharkman is the size of a baseball. Tee balls are huge.
Red Sea Reefer 250

Ben & Alyce's 3x2x2 Shutdown
obsessed1
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby chromus » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 12:44 am

This model is Tee-ball size.

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Locksmiff » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 11:31 am

chromus wrote:This model is Tee-ball size.

You are reffering to the Great White ?? It appears to look smaller then the Megladon ??. I guess I will have to take a trip to the sport store and see how big a t-ball is.
Locksmiff
Curious Reefer

Postby chromus » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 10:55 am

OOps my mistake, I have both and got them backwards.

The mega is the Tee-ball sized unit and the white is about tennisball

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

• Advertisement

Return to Guppy's Aquarium Products Online