• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Marine Sources RDC 1800

This forum is run by Guppy's Aquarium Products Online (a MASA Business Partner). Please feel free to use this forum to discuss any topics about products, sales or any general questions you would like us to answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Marine Sources RDC 1800

Postby kaiserkudo » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Andries,

I have heard back from the manufacturer regarding correct water level height = 25-28cm apparently.

Can you please advise if you have pipe fittings that will fit the outlet (and what size) - I need a 90 elbow and a small section of straight pipe.
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

Re: Marine Sources RDC 1800

Postby Andries » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 10:13 pm

The recommended water level is 25~30CM, but it should be adjusted according to your bubble collection.

The pipe to fit the outlet is 50mm
Andries
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kaiserkudo » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 1:58 pm

Do you mean cm? Or is it really only 25mm? - the manufacturer quoted 25-28mm as well and I thought it was a typo? 25mm wouldn't even cover the pumps. And just so theres no confusion - we're measuring from the very base of the submerged skimmer to the water level in the sump, am I right?

At 25cm, my RDC1800 rapidly overflows. Also I tested each pump on its own and found that one was creating a lot more foam than the other :

I've done a bit of experimenting. I checked both airlines and the venturies - both clear. Then with skimmer in place - I switched one one pump at a time. The first pump produces nice foam that breaks a few cms below the top of the neck. The second pump running on its own produces only about a 1 cm layer of foam which doesn't even reach the top of the cone. If I switch the second one on with the first - it overflows rapidly.

Is there something wrong with the second pump? I'm thinking it's not taking in air properly or not chopping it up as effectively as the first? Shouldn't they perform more or less equally?
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

Postby Andries » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 8:25 pm

kaiserkudo wrote:Do you mean cm? Or is it really only 25mm? - the manufacturer quoted 25-28mm as well and I thought it was a typo? 25mm wouldn't even cover the pumps. And just so theres no confusion - we're measuring from the very base of the submerged skimmer to the water level in the sump, am I right?

At 25cm, my RDC1800 rapidly overflows. Also I tested each pump on its own and found that one was creating a lot more foam than the other :

I've done a bit of experimenting. I checked both airlines and the venturies - both clear. Then with skimmer in place - I switched one one pump at a time. The first pump produces nice foam that breaks a few cms below the top of the neck. The second pump running on its own produces only about a 1 cm layer of foam which doesn't even reach the top of the cone. If I switch the second one on with the first - it overflows rapidly.

Is there something wrong with the second pump? I'm thinking it's not taking in air properly or not chopping it up as effectively as the first? Shouldn't they perform more or less equally?

Sorry, should read CM and not MM
Andries
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kaiserkudo » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:43 pm

Any advice on the rest of my response? I've got it at 20cn and even there it's still overflowing- filling the cup in 1 minute. Been running for a week now.
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

Postby jrod » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 2:05 pm

kaiserkudo wrote:Any advice on the rest of my response? I've got it at 20cn and even there it's still overflowing- filling the cup in 1 minute. Been running for a week now.

If it's the same as other internal skimmers - you need to turn the red pipe inside the elbow fitting to let more water out through the outlet. Although it sounds like you didn't receive these parts.
jrod
Veteran Reefer

Postby kaiserkudo » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 2:16 pm

Outlet is fully open already
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

Postby jrod » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 5:23 pm

Then it sounds like one/both of the pumps is pushing too much water and not enough air, like you suggested. I'm guessing you've already checked the airlines and venturis as well as the impellers. I can't offer any more help, sorry bro
jrod
Veteran Reefer

Postby Doomant » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 7:18 pm

I think it is 25mm -30mm from the top of the pump?
Anthony.

My RSM130 (Closed Down)

My Money Pitt

[URL=http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/dashboard?aquariumId=467]
Doomant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kaiserkudo » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:11 am

25-30 cm above the top of the pump would place it another 10 cm deeper than I already have it- raising the inside water level another 10cms...making any overflowing worse. I'm going to try my old BM skimmer in the sump. If it goes crazy too then I can assume that it's my water which is causing excessive foaming. If not I'm back to square one. For reference I tried raising the skimmer as high as it would go while still submerging the pump inlets and still overflowed. If I blocked both airlines with my fingers the foam died down but the water level didn't rise as I thought it would have. Fingers crossed this is just a very symptomatic break in period...
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

Postby kaiserkudo » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 8:32 pm

Well the problem has continued until today when I turned the skimmer off and on several times. For some reason, on the third go, the foam level settled in just fine. All I can think of is that one of the impellers was spinning the wrong way or not at the proper speed?
kaiserkudo
Centurion Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Guppy's Aquarium Products Online