• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Breeding coral gobies

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Breeding coral gobies

Postby Iain3 » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:41 pm

I have two coral gobies, which I think have laid eggs on an SPS, it now has a small dead patch on one branch with what looks like white fuzz over it. I'll try and get a picture this evening.

Any recommendations on what to do? Move the coral to another tank, or into one of those floating breeding boxes? Put a finer mesh around it to keep any babies in but let water still flow through? And what would you feed them? Get a rotifer farm going?

If the eggs are fertilised how long are they likely to take to hatch? Do I even have time to get rotifers delivered?

If I move them should I move the adult gobies with them? Will they die if the parents aren't there tending to the eggs?

I'd rather not spent to much, but if I have a chance of rearing them I will by a nano tank and a light, I already have sponge filters, a spare skimmer, etc.

Cheers
Iain
Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Re: Breeding coral gobies

Postby Matt1961 » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 1:12 pm

Sorry mate I cant help on this one but am keen to see how it goes.
Also if your successful ill buy a couple off you to help you cover some costs

Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Member 2017-2018
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby Iain3 » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 3:49 pm

Awesome, hopefully it'll all work out this time, or the next time.
Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Postby Iain3 » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 8:08 am

Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:58 pm

There was a competition a few on this forum a few years ago specifically around breeding coral gobies. Not sure if there is any info in there that might help you.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Iain3 » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 2:32 pm

I'll look out for that.

Some people put them in a filter sock, I had another thought, catch them and put them in the refugium, the biggest things in there are the isopods, and there are likely to be copepods and stuff they may eat until I can sort some rotifers. Good idea? Hopefully they won;t all go and hang around the return pump.
Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Postby Magicj » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm not sure which of the Gobiodon species you have but keep in mind that small fish will lay small eggs which will hatch into small larvae which will have small mouths!! A positive is that they do have eyes and a functional gut system upon hatching.

Small mouths = difficult to feed. I have read one report which indicated that rotifers were a suitable first feed but I would tend to discount that report - maybe it was the rotifer nauplii which were being eaten ?? It is more likely that you will require juvenile copepods + a few varieties of microalgae to raise these fish.

You can find a breeding journal here - http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=94944&mpage=1 - Kathy is an experienced breeder but she was only able to get these to around 14 days. Settlement does not occur until around day 40. After that, they grow very slowly.

In your situation, unless you are prepared to dedicate a lot of time and effort to a project, you are better off just enjoying the fact that they are breeding in your tank.

BTW, some people don't like coral gobies because their breeding methods will cause damage to your SPS corals.
Magicj
Veteran Reefer

Postby Iain3 » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm happy if they stick to one piece of coral, which I think they are doing.

My current plan is to fish them out as soon as they hatch (if I am lucky enough to be there) and move them to my refugium, if there are any copepods to be had they will be there.

I will then try to start a rotifer culture tank, my last one did not work, and getting my brine shrimp hatchery running again for if I get another batch, and will put them in a small 20l tank which is currently being used for Quarantining.

Should be fun
Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 11:10 pm

Iain3 wrote:I'm happy if they stick to one piece of coral, which I think they are doing.

My current plan is to fish them out as soon as they hatch (if I am lucky enough to be there) and move them to my refugium, if there are any copepods to be had they will be there.

I will then try to start a rotifer culture tank, my last one did not work, and getting my brine shrimp hatchery running again for if I get another batch, and will put them in a small 20l tank which is currently being used for Quarantining.

Should be fun

In terms of trying to raise the fry, don't bother with putting them in your sump I expect that this will just be a waste of time and effort (the water flow, pump(s), skimmers, heaters etc will just kill them).
You would be much better off removing the coral to a seperate bucket/tank on the day of the hatch and let them hatch in there.
Normally they will hatch at night, you can probably net the adults, eggs and corals just after lights out on the tank.
Then after the eggs hatch return the adults and coral to the main tank.

In terms of food, items like L rotifers and brine shrimp are going to be much to big for the fry once they hatch. You will need much smaller prey items.
To provide foods your best bet would be to culture some live algae's and raise copepods and/or use wild caught copepod nauplii.
This is not an insignificant task.

I would have a look at the journals of the people who have been able to make some progress with these and similar species and continue on from where they have gotten to.
As listed above Kathy and ORA seem to be the only people getting anywhere with this species so far. Though various people are/have tried http://www.mbisite.org/Search.aspx?Species=86

good luck with your efforts
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Breeding coral gobies

Postby Gats » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 11:40 pm

Iain3 wrote:I will then try to start a rotifer culture tank, my last one did not work, and getting my brine shrimp hatchery running again for if I get another batch, and will put them in a small 20l tank which is currently being used for Quarantining.

If you get past the tiny food stage (would tetraselmis work?), then I can help with Rotifers.

I did the dark bucket method (old salt bucket with lid resting on) from these guys for Rotifers and works a treat. Grabbed one of their kits and followed instructions which is a little pricey, but super easy. Instructions on this approach on the site and if you just get the rotifer diet and have 50micron mesh to grab smaller juveniles, happy to supply the Rotifers.
http://www.reefculture.com.au

Bucket method
http://www.reefculture.com.au/kb_results.asp?ID=5

Was only an experiment, but wanted to see if it was possible for when my tanks fully stocked and I have next project for the spare QT tank and my clowns drop a batch.

1 month later and still harvesting every few days for feeding corals in the DT. I seemed to be able to slow it down and speed it up at will with more/less feeding, bigger/smaller harvesting.

Abyss in campbelltown had rotifer reactors on the walls which looked awesome. Think he shut them down quickly though, but don't know why.

More than happy to show you and harvest some to get you started if you want. Got some brine shrimp eggs I'm not using after successful experiment in that too.
Newbie 1st tanker.. fast learner...
Gats
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Iain3 » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the responses, I checked a few times yesterday evening and nothing, this morning no eggs left so I think I missed my chance.

Never mind, next time I'll try to be prepared.

Would be awesome to get a rotifer farm going in the meantime. Would be good to see how you do it as my last attempt failed. I used the same reefculture starter kit, and have some of the algae plancton food left in the fridge, but obviously got something wrong.

Cheers
Iain
Iain3
RTAW Reefer

Postby saltydog » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 11:01 am

Iain3 wrote:Thanks for all the responses, I checked a few times yesterday evening and nothing, this morning no eggs left so I think I missed my chance.

For okinawae, they will take five days to hatch. Hatching should start about an hour after dark.
Can't remember laying frequency, but have one week floating around in my head.
You can check out some images here: http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Gobiodon_okinawae

Chris
DTSTTCPW
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding