• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Banggai breeding

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Banggai breeding

Postby sabo » Sat 30 May, 2015 6:30 pm

I got 4 of these little guys off acroal maybe 4-5 months ago. Stroke of luck, they appear to have paired off. The largest of all of them, just today appears to have both a swollen belly, and also swolen jaw. The smaller one it has paired with does the same thing as my clowns, ie the little shimmer dance. I know the male carries the babies with these guys, just wondering if the bigger is the female or male and if this is pre or post mating.
sabo
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Banggai breeding

Postby ACRO AL » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 12:50 am

Good work
Female gets full of eggs then looks for a male. It then seperates it from the rest, and vibrates on each side of the male for a few days whilst he prepares to collect eggs. Then male has eggs in mouth for 3 weeks. Wait until the babies are visible swimming in his mouth then remove him from aquarium with rigid container, best at night turn lights on, they are blinded. Once out, pick him up out of the water, and if he doesnt spit babies, squeeze the jaw until it opens and he will release them. Make sure they are all out, or he still wont eat for a week until the last ones out. Feed babies fresh hatched brine until they take frozen cyclops, probably 1-2 weeks. :cheers:
ACRO AL
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Banggai breeding

Postby sabo » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 3:05 pm

Cheers Al. The deed must be done, because he doesn't seem to be feeding.
sabo
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding