• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Clownfish fry with one flared gill.

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Clownfish fry with one flared gill.

Postby midjim » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:58 pm

Any breeders had this trouble ? I had a few fish having this problem of late, in my last small batch 5 out of 25 fish have one flared gill or almost like a small chunk has been taken out. I know bad water quality can make both gills flare out, and I have had that when I first started breeding. This last batch are some beautiful fish a mix of Picasso Platinum and normal Percula clowns. I have been very carful with water quality at least 20% water change daily with natural salt water from a offshore clean source. The only thing I can think off is parasites so now I strain the water threw some rotifer mesh. It has seemed to pick the best Picasso babies any help would be appreciated thanks.
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Clownfish fry with one flared gill.

Postby cooper666 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:50 pm

Most scientific literature will point you towards nutritional problems and this could well be the problem, but water quality may still be to blame.

I work at a barramundi hatchery, we use NSW. It is our belief that water quality is the main problem regarding jaw, gill cover and spinal deformities in our fish. It is not the usual parameters that are to blame either. Think lead, mercury, cadnium, aluminium, diesel, petrol, herbicides and pesticides. All of these are found in our NSW at alarming rates and the EPA's response was yes we know but we cant get rid of people on the coast. We have dramatically improved the deformity rate in our fish by savegly ozoning the NSW, then we bomb it with thiosulphate to deal with the bromine. We use to chlorinate/dechlorinate but the deformity rate was through the roof. The evidence for this ozone remedy is purely anecdotal, however it has proved itself to be true for us repeatedly.

Could you try a run with ASW, might give you different results.

Good luck
My tank - Frenchys Reef viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257945
cooper666
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby midjim » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:15 am

Thanks cooper, I live on a island of the coast in Qld and the water quality looks awesome, but I have never thought to test it. There is a bit of boat traffic around though. I really am not up to speed with what ozoning does, so I will have to read up on that one. I have been reading on the net all night about this problem, and they always come back to three things in this order. Water quality, food or nutrition and genetics, fish closely related. I bred the male myself and bought the female years earlier so I think I can count the last on out. I feed rotifers first then baby brine shrimp then wean onto aqua pearls for fry from reef culture till they are old enough for flake and pellets. From reading tonight it seems a fairly common problem that you have to cull a few fish in each batch and I know I have had it before with both gills due to not enough water changes. But I have been extra carful with this lot and 5 out of 25 is not real good. I will start with testing the water but only have the standard reef master kit. I also was reading tonight that a flow threw larval system seems to work better for getting rid of any build up on the surface and diluting the water from ammonia etc. So I might set one up it doesn't look that hard. Also It would be good to do as you say and try a batch with ASW, thanks again.
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Magicj » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 12:57 pm

I have raised two batches of occi's with no evidence of gill flare, although I am aware that it can be a major problem - I have seen photo's of juveniles for sale where I have thought to myself that things weren't quite right :) Unfortunately, it seems that some fish are kept for sale when, in fact, they should be culled.

As for the cause, my past readings have led to the same conclusions as yourself - nutrition and water quality prior to, and during, met. Do you use Prime to reduce the effects of ammonia?
Magicj
Veteran Reefer

Postby midjim » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:31 pm

Yes I use prime, I put it in the water change water and drip feed it into the tubs thanks.
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby radioman » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:56 pm

I have been breeding a lot of clownfish over the past three years. When I first started the first batch went great, I put it down to trying very hard and doing lots of water changes, 1 every 4 to 5 hrs. As I progressed some batches had more flared gills than others. I have changed my hatching system and improved the quality of the water during grow out especially in the first 13 days. We did notice some of the young from particular parents were more prone to flare gills and therefore changed to new parent stock and again the deformities improved to the point that we now have very limited bad fish. Also I have added a uv to the grow out system and still I get the odd one that gets flared gills, not to many with deformities now.
Yet with all the changes and upgrades to my system I still get a couple of young that have problems and yes these are culled. I think it's just a numbers game and some fish just get bad genes, with a hint of problems caused by environment.

Some of the batches number well over 100 and I maybe get 1 to 5 fish that are rejected. So I figure that is an acceptable number of rejects. I try not to send out imperfect fish but sometimes it happens just due to the numbers.

I am not sure this helps your problem. Food and environmental conditions do tend to play a great part especially in the first 14 days.
radioman
Veteran Reefer

Postby midjim » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 2:57 am

Thanks Radioman, I have a 72 watt uv on my brood stock system but I am raising the clowns in black round tubs. I have a small batch at the moment of only 8 fish that I have been so careful with water quality so I will see how they go. I am thinking of trying a flow threw larval tub system, what do you use. I have a larger hatch in two nights of the pair that I have been trying to raise the most, about 150 eggs.They are a young pair and have only laid about 5 nests. I also just got a new fresh lot of rotifers and green water yesterday. Out of the 8 fish from the last lot I can see one platinum and at least two good Picasso, so I am keen to get this right. Funny you mention uv as I was just looking at them on the net earlier tonight. I have been told by a fellow that used to catch fish for the trade, that they should be at least 70 watt to kill the unwanted gremlins in the water, does this sound correct to you. Also my flow threw system was only going to be a drip feed and flow threw to a container underneath then throw the water out. So I am note to sure how I could hook uv in. The flared gill Is almost like a chunk has been taken out the edge of the gill and always only on one side. I do have a grow out system which is two 4ft tanks divided into 3 sections each with a 3ft sump and basic skimmer and live rock and a small amount of cheato. But the gill thing is happening in the black tubs before they go to grow out thanks for your input.
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding