• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

The Flame Hawkfish Mating Journal

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

The Flame Hawkfish Mating Journal

Postby Wrangy » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 12:22 pm

So as I'm sure many are well aware I have and adore my flame hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) and that I recently restarted the tank and am back at only having three fish in the tank. One thing I've always adored is the look of a pair of hawkfish (espcially longnose hawks!), combine this with the need to buy new fish and create a little bit of busyness in the tank I decided that I'm going down the route of getting my flame hawk a partner :)

Flame hawkfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning that they all start life as females and the largest and most dominant become the males. Given that my flame hawk is now two years old (at least in my tank) and fairly fat and happy I'm rather certain that he's male. So I started chatting to Dave at Deer Park about it and pairing them up, he didn't have much experience with it nor seen anyone but said he'd get me in a cute little hawk (who is tiny :D lol), that little beauty arrived last night and I have picked her up this morning! (I may have bought an acro as well though :rolleyes) so a big thanks to Dave for getting me one so promptly and so healthy :worship

Now comes the tricky part lol, the pairing of the hawks!
My plan is to keep the new female in a small seperation container for the next week in the tank for Hawk Hawkins (my flame hawk named after the smart casual song lol) to adjust to the presence of a new flame hawkfish and hopefully I will be able to tell during this time how he will go with her in the tank :) Once that week is up and I'm satisfied then I'll be opening the container but not removing it so she still has it to retreat to and for an easy catch lol.

With any luck I will be able to have these two pair up for life over the coming months as they do pair for life in singular pairs and sometimes harems :) If anyone has any experience or info to offer let me know!
My little 2ft cube of zeo goodness:
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=262485

"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: The Flame Hawkfish Mating Journal

Postby Wrangy » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 1:09 pm

Here's the beautiful girl acclimatising :)

"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby greeni » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 1:28 pm

Good luck with it! They certainly are a nice fish :nod:
Here's mine.

MASS Committee Member
Greeni's 5x2.5x2
greeni
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks Greeni :) I love them!!

Well she's in the tank and has acclimatised really well :) You can tell as she already has the deep red colours back as opposed to the paled out colour she was when in the bags :)

And the typical hawkfish look you always get :D

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 2:23 pm

Well we've had the first interaction and they were very inquisitive of each other which is good! Hawk Hawkins showed no outright aggression which is exactly what I want! :) I threw a little single piece of flake into the container and she went straight for it which is excellent, she spat most of it back out lol but it's really good knowing that she's willing to eat and try what's given to her :D

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:32 pm

As you can see here, this is where Hawk Hawkins usually likes to sit so that he has a pretty good view and is able to get close to the female. So at least he's showing lots of non-aggressive interest :)

And just a beauty shot for everyone :)
Last edited by chromus on Mon 11 May, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use the DIRECT links and use the forum [img] tags

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:07 pm

I have some amazingly excellent news :D :D :woohoo:

I decided today while I was going through my water change procedure that I was really comfortable with how everyone was interacting with lovely little Hawkette through the container, so to the immensely epic music of the fight scene between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon (Duel of the Fates) (my brother's idea lol) I opened the side door of the container so that she could get out in her own time :)

Aannndd.. the best thing happened!! She swam over to sit on the magnet cleaner and as soon as Hawk Hawkins noticed he was right over there, no aggression AT ALL :D :woohoo: so the first 30 seconds of their lives in the same tank was spent interacting, plenty of brushing against each other and she fell straight into a subordinate position as Hawk Hawkins is twice her size and didn't even need to do anything to establish dominance :)

They're spending a bit of time now (been in the tank about an hour) sitting together and cosying up to each other and perching together. Hawk Hawkins seems happier too just in general now that there's a female with him not that he was ever an unhappy fish :p

She's happily doing her own thing in the tank but likes to swim up to him or be able to see him so far :) I'm really hoping this means nothing but good things!!

Here's some terrible phone pics of them together on the magnet cleaner :)
th23autolink_encode_start_3gy4d9cmW2ltZzozZ3k0ZDljbV1odHRwJiM1ODsvL2kxMzY3JiM0NjtwaG90b2J1Y2tldCYjNDY7Y29tL2FsYnVtcy9yNzkzL1dyYW5neS9Nb2JpbGUlMjBVcGxvYWRzLzIwMTUtMDMvSU1HXzIwMTUwMzE3XzEyNTcwNV96cHNpcWZudWczNCYjNDY7anBnWy9pbWc6M2d5NGQ5Y21dth23autolink_encode_end_3gy4d9cm

th23autolink_encode_start_3gy4d9cmW2ltZzozZ3k0ZDljbV1odHRwJiM1ODsvL2kxMzY3JiM0NjtwaG90b2J1Y2tldCYjNDY7Y29tL2FsYnVtcy9yNzkzL1dyYW5neS9Nb2JpbGUlMjBVcGxvYWRzLzIwMTUtMDMvSU1HXzIwMTUwMzE3XzEyNTY0Nl96cHN2Y3F0azgxaSYjNDY7anBnWy9pbWc6M2d5NGQ5Y21dth23autolink_encode_end_3gy4d9cm

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sabo » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:08 pm

Nice! I want to get one of these fish. Everyone seems to think they great personalities. Glad they like each other, has anyone successfully reared these fish in captivity.
sabo
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 9:17 pm

sabo wrote:Nice! I want to get one of these fish. Everyone seems to think they great personalities. Glad they like each other, has anyone successfully reared these fish in captivity.

Thanks, they have the best personalities!! Nothing compares to what you get from these guys! No successful stories :( Someone did get them spawning but due to the nature of the young they all starved to death at day 10. So unfortunately I have my work cut out for me if I do try!

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 8:47 pm

Awesome man! Ive been following alot of breeding logs in the past, and it all seems that a strong diet is really helpful to condition the fish. Keep up the diet and goodluck, ill be tagging along! :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby darylb » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 1:37 am

Looks like a good thread to follow I just got rid of my falco hawkish he was a funny guy but sadly I want shrimp in my tank and could t do it with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darylb
RTAW Reefer

Postby damer » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 8:59 am

Hopefully we can have side by side breeding journals ;)
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby Wrangy » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 1:50 pm

Mr Miagi wrote:Awesome man! Ive been following alot of breeding logs in the past, and it all seems that a strong diet is really helpful to condition the fish. Keep up the diet and goodluck, ill be tagging along! :thumbsup:

Thanks :) I've definitely got a strong diet going, NLS flake, ELOS pellets and my own frozen mix feed on a rotation that's never the same lol so hopefully they're getting plenty of food and the right sort of stuff!

darylb wrote:Looks like a good thread to follow I just got rid of my falco hawkish he was a funny guy but sadly I want shrimp in my tank and could t do it with him
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk's are far better than any shrimp you can get ;) The personality alone beats everything haha

damer wrote:Hopefully we can have side by side breeding journals ;)

Awesome!! :thumbsup: hopefully we can compare notes and get something going from this! I expect you'll have a better chance as your tank is slightly larger and deeper(?) but I'm certainly going to give it a red hot go!
Did you get a pair together or pair them up like I did??

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 1:52 pm

Here's a photo of them enjoying each other's company, it really is amazing to have a pair of my favourite fish! :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 5:26 pm

--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby midjim » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 11:45 pm

Thanks for sharing, they are a great fish one of my favorites.
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding