• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Tremble's Clownfish Breeding

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Tremble's Clownfish Breeding

Postby tremble » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 10:24 pm

I figured it was about time I got around to posting my breeding setup. It all started for me about a year ago, I was looking for a couple of juvenile GSM clowns for a new tank I setup and contacted a local guy through the forums who was advertising some. Unfortunately I had missed the boat and they were all gone however, he did have an interesting offer for me... he could help me out with some eggs, rotifers and phytoplankton if I wanted to have a go at raising some myself! My first reaction was no way! I would have no idea where to even start! But I had the bug... from when I got my first clowns I have always wanted to have a go at raising some. So after spending a few days doing some research I decided I would give it a go! My first couple of batches didn't go so well... but I was determined. After the third attempt the eggs dried up but I had already decided at that point I was going to put my own setup together and do it properly.

So over the last 6 months together I have been slowly putting my own setup together. I currently have 4 tanks plumed together and one smaller hatch out tank.

Tanks:

Sump.. with a few KG of live rock and a bunch of macro algae:

Hatch out/cultures/work area:

Currently I have 3 pairs:

A GSM pair aka Fred and Wilma:

I've had these guys up near 6 months ago. I picked them up from another guy on the forums who had them for about 2 years. So far haven't had any sign of eggs from them. They get disturbed/annoyed very easily. Any time I am around the tanks, even when just feeding Fred gets annoyed and starts shaking is rear end and spitting things at me. I am starting to think I am not going to get eggs from these guys and am looking at moving them on.

An Onyx Pair aka Kermit and Ms. Piggy:

I've only had these guys for about 2 months now. I got them from my LFS as a WC pair. I think they are still a bit young yet and have grown a good bit in the time that I have had them. They are settling in well and eating like pigs but.

Another GSM pair aka Barney and Betty:

These guys I've had for just over a month. These were from the breeder who got me started. They provided me my first eggs and I hope once they get settled they will provide me many more.

I also have a sole Percula clown at the moment aka Bob:

I've tried pairing her a couple of times but it has never ended well for the male. I have come to the conclusion that she is just too aggressive and have given up trying to pair her up.

My intention at the moment is to leave one tank empty (once i have a home for Bob) for grow out. If all goes well I will look to add some additional tanks for grow out but I want to see some eggs before I lay out more money :)

Currently I am feeding 3-4 times a day, 2-3 times with Spectrum Thera-A and once with frozen. I've tried various other foods but the Spectrum seems to go down best. I am also adding Vita-Chem weekly as well as a few drops each day with the frozen food. I was doing a small (20l) water change twice a week but I am changing that to a larger (30-40l) once a week to try and minimise disruption and sucking out any left over food daily with a turkey baster.

Well, thats my setup. Any questions/feedback/suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks for reading, will be sure to keep you all updated on my progress :)
tremble
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Re: Tremble's Clownfish Breeding

Postby damer » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 9:08 am

Nice set up.

What frozen do you feed?

You need to feed them until they won't eat any more and then Symphon out excess.

Hatching brine shrimp and feeding them within six hours (to get most nutrition as well) every couple of days can help get the to spawn as it resembles a planktonic bloom. Worth a try :thumbsup:

Keep an eye an ammonia and nitrite, live rock isn't always best for filtration in this type of set up due to the ammount of food and you may need a small trickle filter with bio balls.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby tremble » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks for the reply Damien.

I've been feeding a mixture of the ocean nutrition stuff. At the moment artema and music although I usually try to avoid shrimp as I know it can make the egg sacks too hard. I will have a go with the BBS as well.

I've probably been a bit slack monitoring my ammonia and nitrite but I will keep a closer eye on it. If I start to get much of a reading I will definitely look into bio balls.
tremble
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby CaptCrash » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 1:28 pm

What temperature are you running the system at?

I have found that 1/2-1 degree can make quite a bit of difference.
In my case I run one system at 26 and the other at 27. If I drop 1 degree in either systems, most of my pairs go off laying.

I also have the same experience as Tremble, feed them a lot.
I use both NLS pellets twice a day and a frozen DIY mix that is quite heavy in squid, shellfish, prawns etc.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby tremble » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 6:43 pm

i had read that raising the temperature a bit can help encourage breeding so I had been keeping my temps at 27-28. Might try dropping the temperature a bit to see if that helps.
tremble
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby cooper666 » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 7:39 pm

My maroons lay readily at 27 to 28 celcius, fed once a day (stuffed to the gills) on frozen artemia and mysis. I've never bothered trying to raise the fry as it resembles my day job too much. I hope that you like growing rotifers and hatching / enriching artemia as that is where most of the work will be once you start raising little ones. I can help you with that when you get to that stage (I do it for a living at a barra hatchery). let me know if you want some tips.

Good luck.
My tank - Frenchys Reef viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257945
cooper666
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding