• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Breeding Peppermint Shrimp

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Breeding Peppermint Shrimp

Postby justjack » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello all lately I’ve been asked a lot of questions in regards to how I breed my peppermint shrimp and the methods I use so I thought I’d give people a short run down. First of all I can’t tell you all the secrets involved as it’s taken me a long time with a lot of trial and error…. A lot of error.

Now breeding shrimp is very easy as naturally with a group of adult shrimp they don’t hesitate to mate and reproduce the hard part is the raising them.
I try to find about 10 females in my adult tanks that have laid eggs relatively close to one another that way I can remove them from their tank and place them separately in their own holding tank, something around 20litres, this tank needs to be well filtered and oxygenated with a water temp of around 28c this will improve the eggs hatching rate.
The eggs on the female when laid are a dark colour usually green the bigger the female the more eggs though I find with the larger females I have problems with larvae survival rates. Once the eggs hatch which can be anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks depending on conditions like temp and water quality, the colour under the abdomen will become a brown to pinky colour. It doesn’t matter how long it takes for them to spawn because if you have all the females in the one tank under the same conditions once one female releases the larvae it usually triggers a chain reaction. I should also mention when her abdomen turns that pinky colour remove all forms of filtration as the larvae once released get sucked up very quick. Spawning usually occurs in the dark of night so if your lucky enough to be around you’ll notice the females fanning their tails very quickly to release there larvae, once all larvae are released remove all the adults.

At this stage I find this is where the fun and frustration begins. I collect the larvae using a torch against the side of the tank towards the surface and use a fine airline hose to siphon out as many larvae as I can…. You won’t get all of them so don’t panic. Once you’ve collected as many as you can place them in a large circular container the larvae in the first few stages of metamorphosis are poor swimmers in the past I’ve used airstones to circulate the water but now I’ve found a small motor positioned above the middle of the bowl with a homemade blade that drags in a circular motion around the surface to act as a much gentler way of keeping the larvae suspended and oxygenated. I do a 50% water change everyday and I always make sure the water temp is the same as well as salinity I turn of the motor 10min before a waterchange and let the larvae settle I then use a light at one side of the bowl to attract the shrimp and do my water change at the other side of the bowl thus minimizing the amount of larvae sucked out… again don’t worry you will suck out some don’t freak out. Once water change is complete turn everything back on.

Feeding shrimp larvae can be difficult the first few stages of metamorphosis they feed off their yolk sack, when I first started breeding shrimp I used to try feed them not knowing it wasn’t necessary thus polluting and killing all my batches. So after 3 days I start to feed them this is the hardest thing to achieve as it requires a lot of effort so ill let you in on a little secret larvae at this stage aren’t very good at catching prey so require the water to have a high density of food and the best food to use is phytoplankton such as diatoms and forms of green algae, you may ask well where do you buy that?…. You don’t! Every afternoon preferably close to dark I take my kayak out and drag a very fine net designed for plankton research, why night time? Phytoplankton comes closer to the surface at night searching for light. I collect several 2L bottles full and bring it home I then store that in another oxygenated tank where its lasts up to 3 days I use this method for about a week then move on to other methods of newly hatched baby brine and other additives once the shrimp have gone through a most of their larvae stages.

By the time the shrimp reach the stage of being a morphed shrimp they’ve seen 90% of their sibling die due to you hatching complications, molting complication, human error…. This means you sucking them down the drain, overfeeding, underfeeding, tank to hot, tank to cold, bad water quality so on. The biggest killer is cannibalism these suckers love to lunch and dine on anything with protein. And I should mention the other big killer….. (it’s a mystery) a lot of the time raising shrimp is so hard is you can’t work out why they all dropped dead and how to learn from it.
After a month of highs and lows and after 10 female shrimp produce 10,000 larvae you should be lucky to have 100 adult shrimp around 2-3cm long. By now your female shrimp should have eggs again and you’ve started the whole process all over again.

Some times I’ve gone 6 months without having 1 shrimp survive other times I’ve had 200 from one batch survive, im lucky to have friends who work for CSIRO in crustacean aquaculture research to help me along the way and one day I hope to try my methods on harder to breed invertebrates. For you out there who would like more questions answered feel free ill try to get you moving in the right direction. I could write a novel on my experiences but I don’t want to bore you to death…
Jack
cheers Jack

My Tank Journal
justjack
Veteran Reefer

Re: Breeding Peppermint Shrimp

Postby dougie » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 8:42 pm

I would love to try and breed some :)
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby midjim » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:03 pm

What a great effort, you should be proud. :clap:
midjim
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:17 am

Good work on sharing your experiences. The random home hobbyist would stand a much greater chance of raising these beauties if we had more sharing like this! Congratulations! :cheers: Your simple post has given me the encouragement to try and capture mine when they spawn next!
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby ALangman » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:39 pm

:bow:
ALangman
Centurion Reefer

Postby Downu » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:36 pm

Jack, do you keep your breeders in a bare tank? or have some rock or other hidey spots for them?
No dear that fish has been in there for ages.
I blame the power consumption on the teenager.
Time flies when you hit the snooze button.
Downu
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby justjack » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:03 am

In my spawning tank I have stacks of roof tiles on to of one another with a 2cm gap between them this stops them eating one another the tanks are all bare bottom all my other holding tanks have 3cm poly pipe cut up stacked up on top of each other... It's light and easy to move. The more hidy holes the better they love eating one another when held in high density tanks.
cheers Jack

My Tank Journal
justjack
Veteran Reefer

Postby Downu » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Jack.
No dear that fish has been in there for ages.
I blame the power consumption on the teenager.
Time flies when you hit the snooze button.
Downu
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby millotoli » Sun 24 Aug, 2014 4:34 pm

:clap:
Thank you for your advice

I will be in contact soon!
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby ian3145 » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 9:20 am