• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Seahorse breeding

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Re: Seahorse breeding

Postby Oldnewbie » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 1:52 pm

Darren at Reefsecrets is trying to get tank bred Augustus so i will hang out for them at this stange i think, Daz wont let me down will ya daz :clap:
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Thu 15 Nov, 2012 1:37 pm

I will have some tank bread barbouris in about 6 weeks time :)

Going to pick up a pair of breviceps tonight!! whoot whoot!!
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Fri 16 Nov, 2012 11:53 am

If you think some of those young barbouris might like a trip to the east let me know the damage and i will arrange a flight for them :banana:
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 2:45 am

Just something to keep you going.....

My new brevicep babies..... they eat a whole lot of food.... (They can eat like a horse when they want to..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 1:28 pm

Very nice how many of the little buggas are there? and do you feed them just brine shrimp at this stage?
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 3:20 pm

These guys are a mixture of approx 20 barbouri x subelongatus and 80 breviceps.

On first removal, I dump the contents of my filter sock (just for collecting pods) and approx 30mls of NHBBS.
These guys eat and poop heaps to point of I am doing 60-70% water changes every 12 hours and still I am getting Ammonia hitting the 2.0 (API test kit) before the change. After a decent WC, I am adding Ammo Lock to help negate the effect, but I am at the point now where I think I am going to need more water volume to keep up. (That reminds me, must call up and get my storage tanks filled. 2000L coming up!!! :clap: )

Time to do a DIY build for a bigger tank :devil: (And the Minister for War and Finance said yes!!! :o )

With the NHBBS, I make sure they are no older than 12-24 hours old, as by this stage, they have lost their yolk sacks and have no nutritional value to the fry. All NHBBS has been decapsulated(Bleach soak method) no more than a week prior to being hatched. Feedings are done first thing in the morning (5:30 am), before I leave for work (8am) as soon as I get home from work (4:30pm) and just before I go to bed (11:00pm).

WC are done just before feedings at 5:30am and 4:30 pm.

A small 12w LED light is left on 24 hours a day for the first week, then 12-18 hours white and the rest blue for the next 2 weeks, then 12 hours white and 6 hours blue, and slowly reducing it to a 12 hours combined for both.

Well, so far, 2 days in, and I have only lost 1, with the rest going strong.. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: Gettign past the 3 day mark is the first hurdle, and the 3 week mark is the second.

Oh, and one of my trusty subelongatus decided he was going to gift me another 140 babies this morning... thanks ... mate ... :wall: :wall: I just don't have any spare room at the moment for any more!!!
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Jaguar » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 4:07 pm

BABIES! I miss ponies :( Good thing I don't live near you. I would totally help raise some subs!. If your interested in shipping some lmk ;). I was totally going to set up a seahorse nursery, and already have some of the materials to throw one together. It's been a while. Watch out for that thin fiber plastic rope I had babies getting stuck in that. I eventually switched to the really neon colored zip ties. They're looking great! :thumbsup: :clap:

Just cause I know everyone following wants to see more babies!

Best of luck!
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:11 pm

Agreed.. the rope only stays in there for the first couple of weeks, then gets removed and cable ties put in
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Fri 23 Nov, 2012 8:24 am

Can i take this discussion way back please Dgrmouse, how do you have your breeding tanks setup,do you have anything in them (coral, weed...the legal stuff lol or nothing) and what filtratiom unit do you use :think:
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby Oldnewbie » Fri 23 Nov, 2012 9:00 am

Just thought of another question :wavey: what lights do you run over your breeding tanks over mine i just run T8s and they are in a room with lots of lights so alot of the time i leave the lights off and they dont seem to mind
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Fri 23 Nov, 2012 1:41 pm

OK breeding tanks... my breeding thank is my 4x14x18 DT which is currently looking abysmal, as I am getting ready to transfer them to my new 5x2x2(need to build my arduino to control my soon to be DIY led setup). This is a simple tank with fuge below, totalling approx 200L. Within this tank I have heaps of moprhs, zoos and xenia, and a clam (surprisingly it does really well :thumbsup: ) A simple 120W LED light is sitting above with 50% white 50% blue on an analogue timer.

For circulation, I use the Fuge return flow alongside a Hydor Koralia 900 running peninsular (sort of) to give that little bit of flow to the tank. Detrius is a real problem, alongside of the thousands of bristleworks (one as long at 30cm!!). The only way to combat this is to be meticulous during water changes and siphon out as much as possible. I'll try to get a half decent picture of the stup tonight for you.
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby DgrMouse » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 11:26 pm

Well,

thanks to the Perth heat :furious: and my cooling fan throwing a blade today :wall: , looks like we are starting from scratch with babies again... I have lost all but 4 little seahorses, and even they don't look too flash :( :( :(

Dammit dammit dammit.... they were 5 weeks old and were growing like champions... i feel gutted at the moment... :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby saint » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 11:41 pm

Damn! sorry for the loss :bawling:

Ive always had a soft spot for sea horses
saint
Centurion Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 7:45 pm

Just saw this thread for the first time *blush*

Add us to your list of people casually breeding our seahorses - though this is al very new to us. (They only had their first lot of bubs in Nov whom we subsequently lost in the house move 3days later :( )
We keep Barbouri: 3 females, 2 males.
We've witnessed lots of dancing, and were even fortunate enough to witness the actual depositing of eggs just two weeks ago :D So fingers crossed we have a new batch of fry soon.

We'd be very keen to read about your experiences, and to share some of our own when the time comes!! :)

Bek & Les
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby King Venom » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 2:32 am

I got some wild caught males that are pregnant ATM can you point me in the direction of a guild to make a raising unit.
King Venom
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby cajsw » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 6:59 pm

i have a set of Augustus pony's that are having there second set of babies in 15 days.....got the second tank ready for him and hopefully some pretty pony bubs soon. :)
IF YOU AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED
LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.!
cajsw
Curious Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 1:53 am

Awesome:) good luck!!!
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby wfh » Sat 07 Sep, 2013 6:20 am

My seahorse male gave birth on Tuesday 1 September, they are now 7 days old, I started with about 30 I didn't see them being born, so I may have lost a lot in the system they were born in, out of the 30 I have more than half still alive, I have been feeding with marine snow and trying live daphnia which seems to still be to big, I have also used brine shrimp, it comes hatched in a jar its not alive but is very small, they do seem to be eating it, my pipefish love it. Can anyone suggest food to feed them, they are kuda seahorse and appear to already have a really nice yellow colour on many.
They are in a tank that hangs on the side of the main marine tank, air bubbles are used to move the water from the main tank to the seahorse tank, which creates a very small amount of flow, yet still keeping the water moving and changing all the time. I keep a blue light on another tank which is connected to this tank to keep the pH from dropping at night.the tanks is very small only 2 ltrs so the seahorse don't have to expend much energy when feeding. I put in fresh food every two hrs in the day, and leave the tank from 6pm to 8am the next day without putting in any food.
wfh
Curious Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby shazagirl » Fri 03 Jan, 2014 8:35 pm

Have been closely reading all your notes, dgrmouse,,,,,,,,,, on how to set up a fry tank,,,,, I too have subelongatus,,,,,,,,,, 6 of them, and one of my males gave birth, for the first time,,,,,,, counted 150 fry,,,,,, saved half of these the morning i found he lost his belly, the other half, we found in the filters, when we did our maintenance. all died in first 24 hours, except one, he survived 7 days,, so now I am going to improve on lengthening survival odds, with more appropriate tank set up etc,,
shazagirl
Lurking Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 1:49 pm

Awesome :) It takes practice knowing when your about to have another arrival. Usually it takes up to 4 weeks from when he first gets the eggs to when he dumps them. It normally happens late at night or early just before sunrise. You could try running some filter mesh just before your overflow or even putting the male in a breeding basket at night when he gets close.

How did you transfer them to your fry tank? I find a turkey baster is the easiest option for me
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby shazagirl » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:42 pm

I used a small jug, like the one to fill an iron,,,,,,,,,,,, that worked really well.... my boy is about week and half out before giving birth again,,,,,,, have got some foot stockings ,, am planning to pull one over the submersible,,, so at least they dont get sucked up in the external filter this time.... I have been conversing with ppl about using the kriesel method, yes and also am going to experiment with sectioning off my sml tank into two halves,,,,,,, will play with what gives more positive results,,,,,, you say the subelongatus hitch at birth? My 52 had no idea whatsover,, when they were in tank,, i even had a fine, plastic plant and a mesh pole in there, just in case,,,,,, no luck they just kept trying to swim to the top
shazagirl
Lurking Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 2:58 am

if you use a light source, a trick is to try and put the light low on the side of the tank... works for me :)

Kreisel is the best method I have used to date, as I have made them with buckets cut to size and siliconed into the tank. If you want some pics, just let me know and I will be happy to snaps some and put them up.
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby shazagirl » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 11:57 pm

DgrMouse,,,,, Just your thoughts on our subelongatus ,,, I have one boy who has been consistantly giving birth every 3.5 weeks or so,,, since start of summer,,, his first 3 pregnancies produced healthy broods of ave 200 each round,,,, last 3 rounds though,,, every gestation has been ending up in him not being very round,, and when birthing he is firstly,, pumping them out singlely,, and second the few he does have are white and not even fully formed . I questioned this on one of the seahorse forums,, and was explained often this happens come end of their favourable mating seasons,, that the males have a break in the colder months,,, he is besides this,, still very conditioned,, and acts and looks healthy,,,,,,,,,,, any thoughts,,, have any of yours showed this behaviour?

shaz
shazagirl
Lurking Reefer

Postby cooper666 » Thu 01 May, 2014 6:26 pm

Years ago, I did a very short stint at seahorse hatchery while it was in ist developmental stage. Althogh my memory is vague I remember the owners stressing the importance of keeping the bottom of the baby tanks very clean. They found that if they were not rigerous, cilliates would attack from the inside of the snout and kill them. Also was led to believe that art naups were no good until they had developed a mouth and anus, at which time they were enriched with a HUFA product. The baby seahorses could not digest freshly hatched arts as their mechanical digesitve ability was not strong enough to crack their shells and release the nutrients within. They also claimed that baby seahorses could be over fed. They would eat until artemia came out the other end undigested. Not sure how much of this is factual, perhaps there's something in.
My tank - Frenchys Reef viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257945
cooper666
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby gianniz » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 1:55 pm

anyone in Sydney breed seahorse? I'm looking for mass purchase and hopefully constant supply. PM me pretty please
gianniz
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby fishguy23 » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 8:34 pm

Serious question why mass produced and constant supply? Human consumption?
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Hoffy » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey dgrmouse, havent bred as yet but this is my seahorse tankImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoffy
Curious Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 4:57 pm

very cool!!
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby jerlinjames » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi dgrmouse,
I dream of keeping a seahorse tank. They have always facinated me and would love to own a seahorse tank soon now that I have my own house.

Will be following this thread closely.
jerlinjames
Hi, I am new around here!

Previous

Return to Propagation & Breeding