• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Seahorse breeding

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Seahorse breeding

Postby DgrMouse » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 1:24 am

Just wondering if anyone is interested in my efforts with seahorses? I am keeping myself a paper journal, but was wondering if anyone else is trying to raise the fry like I am?

If they are, I would like to start a conversation of methods used to raise the fry and I am interested in what setups people have :thumbsup:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: Seahorse breeding

Postby Andre.Gibson » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 11:34 am

While I dont have any seahorses myself, I have no doubt many people will be interested.
Post everything you can and I will read it :p

Andre
"Look, I can agree with you but then we would both be wrong"
"Trust me, the last thing I want to do is hurt you ... but it is still on my list"
Andre.Gibson
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 7:58 pm

I've never seen many seahorse breeding threads here in the Aus forums, but I know the seahorse.org forums post tons of information.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 7:12 pm

Agreed.. I'm a member there as well :) just wondering how much interest there was on here
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby cajsw » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 7:18 pm

i am setting up a 2ft cube with seahorses and will be interested when they do breed
IF YOU AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED
LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.!
cajsw
Curious Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 12:42 am

I have 3 different batches on the go at the moment :thumbsup:
I have 6 subelongatus at 7 weeks old today, 7 barbouri at 3 weeks old, and about 90 subelongatus at 3 days old
:clap: :clap: :clap:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby SeaCucumber » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 12:36 am

My Nabour has a specially designed seahorse breeding tank she used for her baby's and now has a couple dozen in a tank :) she's selling the little breeder box thing tho if your interested ?
SeaCucumber
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby DgrMouse » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 3:25 am

PM me the details if you could with a picture, that would be great :thumbsup:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby King Venom » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 3:30 am

I'm very intrested mate I will buy some off you when they are ready.
King Venom
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Oldnewbie » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 10:11 am

Hey guys im interested in any info on seahorses we have a 3"x2"x2" tank for 2 pairs of kuda seahorses with the idea of getting them to breed.After a quick battle with gas bubble wich we resolved with Diamox our horses seem to be courting.So anything i can contribute to the discussion im more then willing
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:37 am

Awesome.. glad to see I'm not the only one giving it a go :) anyway, one of my male subelongatus (W.A.'s) popped another 22 out last night... time to start another tank going.... :thumbsup:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 4:46 am

Here is a quick shot of my setup minus 2 more tanks.... :nut: :nut:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 8:40 am

Hi
Yesterday afternoon after i posted here one pair of my seahorses began (i guess) to start breeding ,the male was constantly approaching the female and hitching to her and exposing his pouch and also changing colour,is this breeding behaviour?.This went on until approx 2130hrs when the romance seemed to stop.Will they continue this behaviour over a few days or is that it?Another question if you guys dont mind has anyone bought rotifers from ReefCulture?
Thanx
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 12:45 pm

That behaviour is certainly the normal... it happens at both dusk and dawn. As long as your male isn't ready to give birth, this will continue and certainly is not harmful.

The bucket in the bottom right corner of the pic has a mix of rotifers from ReefCulture and CapnCrash :bow:

For feeding the rotifers, I use ReefCulture Rotifer Diet and copepod diet as this mix is rich with both rotifers and copepods now. It's great to help start cycling a new tank without fish (This is what has kicked my new 5 footer into a cycle, dumped about a litre of the rot/pod water along with about 20ml of the rotifer diet algae)
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 1:08 pm

I had a question concerning the setup of an individual tank, so here goes :

The custom tanks with the round insert were custom made using the kriesel design.

How I made them:
Using a standard 40-60 litre tank(LFS), a maxipail 20L bucket(Bunnings), 13mm clear and black poly tubing(Bunnings), Poly tap(Bunnings), Cable ties(Bunnings), Aquarium Silicone(Bunnings), LED light fixture(LFS), Cheap Fish Net(LFS) and a Sicce 0.5 pump (Vebas).

I won't go into too much detail, because there are much better explanations already out there, and all I did was follow one of them. I am almost ready to embark on building another one, so I might to a DIY build for that one if anyone is interested.

The running of the tank:

The pump is regulated by the tap in the clear PVC which runs down into the modified bucket on the trailing edge through a DIY spray bar(partially submerged to stop bubbles). This in turn causes a slow current/flow aroud the round section on the tank. This stops the seahorse fry from sitting on the surface of the water where they have the opportunity to take in air, which ultimately leads to their demise. This flow runs out the other side of the bucket through a hole which has the fish net on it to stop the fry from leaving the bucket. I have some video of this in action, can can't find it right now.. gotta go looking for it.

Having this separation allows easier water changes (Every 2nd day I change approx 50%). I usually leave the lights on abouve the tank for the first 2 weeks, which allows the fry to eat non-stop and igves them the best possible nutrition intake. As for feeding, I am constantly hatching NHBBS and feeding the tanks twice a day, getting rid of any NHBBS that are more than 24 hours old, as they no longer have their yolk sack and have lost alot of their nutirional value to the fry.

Oh, and I found another 38 babies in the tank when I go tup this morning... not sure who they came from though.... gees they can have me guessing some times :konk: So now the total is up arounf the 70 mark for this lot.
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby DgrMouse » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 1:41 pm

Kreisel in Action

DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 8:46 am

Ok starting to understand your setup now (just takes some of us a bit longer lol) at what stage do you remove the fry from the parents?
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby Andre.Gibson » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 9:11 am

Please do post the DIY thread for the next one and post the link here :)
I'm looking to embark on a similar venture for the mandarins to see if there are better results with a kriesel :)

Keep up the good work DgrMouse. Truely inspirational :)

Andre
"Look, I can agree with you but then we would both be wrong"
"Trust me, the last thing I want to do is hurt you ... but it is still on my list"
Andre.Gibson
Veteran Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 10:45 am

Argh!!! it never rains.. it POURS!!! I woke up this morning to find another 66 babies in the tank... this time from my barbouri male!! I think he is being a bit of a tart as the female barbouri I have for him isn't mature enough to breed yet.... My suspicions are that he mated with a subelongatus... hmm.. crossbreeds :clap: :clap: :clap: :crossfingers:

Oldnewbie wrote:Ok starting to understand your setup now (just takes some of us a bit longer lol) at what stage do you remove the fry from the parents?

I remove the fry from the main tank into the kriesel as soon as they are born, if not, as soon as i wake up and see them swimming on the surface :-D . I usually fill the kriesel with the main tank water as to stop any osmotic or temperature shock. I have found this works well for a better survival rate past the initial 5 day mark. Water changes happen every day if there are more than 100 in the tank, but every 2nd day if not.

Just confirmed with the minister for war and finance that I need another kriesel tank :thumbsup: :thumbsup: DIY build docco coming up :-D
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 11:24 am

Keep the posts coming this is very informative ive been out this morning collecting gear for that setup,lucky the wife is sick and hasnt seen the dollars disapearing...... :furious:
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby Oldnewbie » Sun 11 Nov, 2012 11:37 am

Just a quick question where do you guys purchase your seahorses?......i got mine through Reef Secrets on the Goldcoast,i bought another tank and was thinking of getting a different variety.
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Sun 11 Nov, 2012 11:53 am

I use several different sources to get the variety I want... What type do you have at the moment?
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Sun 11 Nov, 2012 3:48 pm

I have 2xpairs of kudas i think something around the same size, maybe barbouri ?im open to suggestions of varieties
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Sun 11 Nov, 2012 6:20 pm

Barbouri's are about 1.5x the size of a kuda, if you can get a pair eating frozen, go for it...
briceveps are colder watef, but look really cool :) ....
angustus are trickier to breed if you want to try and breed them...
subelongatus are larger but are hardier than most...
reidi's would be perfect, but trying to find them in australia now is almost impossible...

hope this helps :thumbsup:
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Sun 11 Nov, 2012 6:35 pm

Augustas might be the go then (always up for a challenge) any idea where i could access some from ? Reefsecrets go a pair in when i got the kudas but i missed out on them .
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 12:46 am

I thikn its just going to be a waiting game... I'll see what I can do with my suppliers over thiis side of the country
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Jaguar » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 7:27 pm

Oldnewbie wrote:Augustas might be the go then (always up for a challenge) any idea where i could access some from ? Reefsecrets go a pair in when i got the kudas but i missed out on them .

I wanted Augustas, no one atm is captively breeding them. You'll need to contact WA and find someone with a collecting license to get you some breeding stock. Once they arrive you should go through the proper deworming/parasite removal treatments. Be aware some might not survive the treatments.

Just found my contact. Ocean Reef Marine can get these for you as I had previously contacted them for broodstock, but decided not to go through with seahorses :bored: Best of luck!
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:30 am

I can get the subelongatus which is a very close relative to the augustus. The only real main difference is that subelongatus fry are benthic froim birth, whereas the augustusis pelagic for the first few weeks. I'm sure there are more genetic diffferences, but this is one that stands out.
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Oldnewbie » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 3:34 pm

I can access some Augutus from Brisbane but they are wild caught and the guy was vague when i questioned him about if they were eating frozen as well as live....so i am not sure about him will make a few more phone calls,whats your ideas on wild caught?
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer

Postby DgrMouse » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 4:09 pm

Most of my brood stock is wild caught. They give the best results when breeding. Shelf life for these guys is usually aroung the 3 year mark(that what I am getting), but I also have one male who has just turned 5
Be very careful when selecting wild caught as I have been caught out before with them and they have not eaten frozens. I still have them, only because I have a constant supply of enriched live brine for them. If you can, see them feeding off frozens in person, failing that, a good video does the trick (the reason why a good video is so you can pick out perticular markings that you can compare your delivery with).

In saying that though, I have recently aquired 2 pairs of subelongatus that were live feeders, and they took to frozen within 48 hours after seeing my other subby's mashing away at the frozen mysis. They learn rather quickly what is food and what isn't
DgrMouse
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Next

Return to Propagation & Breeding