• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Breeding royal gramma

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Breeding royal gramma

Postby dennisd022 » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi peepz just want to know if anyone try breeding grammas? if so any tips? thanks
dennisd022
Curious Reefer

Postby abbott75 » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 9:39 pm

Talk to Chris on here. He is the resident breeding expert.

I know they've been raised overseas, but I don't know if anyone here has had success.
abbott75
Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:03 pm

Dennis your request is a bit broad, get a breeding pair first then the fun starts with the larvae.

What do you wish to know?

Christian
Chris
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby dennisd022 » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:13 pm

well i got a gramma already and just tryin to get another smaller ones..just want to know how hard are they to breed.. ive never tried breeding marines before.. thanks
dennisd022
Curious Reefer

Postby tmd77 » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:14 pm

there will soon be a member on these boards who is going to try and breed them very very shortly

as with chris^^^ what in specifics do you want to know
tmd77
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:25 pm

all you people trying to steal my thunder or something, trying to breed this species!!!

Dennis is is definatley jumping in the deep end to breed grammas but its not impossible, get the pair going, just gettign a smaller one will probably work.

Onc eyou have larvae, then you will need rotifers, some good enrichments and plenty of baby brine shrimp.

Christian
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:26 pm

I should say check out http://www.marinebreeder.org some good info on there, although gramma info is still light on even there.

Christian
Chris

Postby dennisd022 » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 5:36 pm

yeh all i got is 1 gramma in the 3foot tank.. hope to find a smaller 1 pretty soon..thanks for the info christian..
dennisd022
Curious Reefer

Postby new2marine » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 4:37 pm

sorry quick question, would a gramma take out peppermint shrimp, mine's only small but since he was added i havent seen my peppermints and yesterday i caught him biting a large glass shrimp in half. He's the smallest fish i have but most aggressive..

Just asking becuase was planning on buying a redline cleaner and dont want this little fish eating him..
new2marine
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby PaulG » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 4:52 pm

new2marine wrote:sorry quick question, would a gramma take out peppermint shrimp, mine's only small but since he was added i havent seen my peppermints and yesterday i caught him biting a large glass shrimp in half. He's the smallest fish i have but most aggressive..

Just asking becuase was planning on buying a redline cleaner and dont want this little fish eating him..

Are you sure its a gramma & not a royal dottyback?
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:37 pm

new2marine wrote:sorry quick question, would a gramma take out peppermint shrimp, mine's only small but since he was added i havent seen my peppermints and yesterday i caught him biting a large glass shrimp in half. He's the smallest fish i have but most aggressive..

Where did you buy it from as I haven't seen a Royal in WA for a hell of a long time (I think the last one was at Vebas and that was a private sale and before that Manta 14 months ago) and how much did you pay for it (if less then $120 it is not a Gramma) as Paul has suggested it sounds like a Royal Dottyback (see link below for pictures) the behavior your describing is indicative of this fish (which IMO is a royal PITA) as opposed to a Royal Gramma which is a very peaceful fish.

http://images.google.com.au/images?oe=u ... 4&ct=title

Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:44 pm

The only time I have witnessed aggression with Royal Grammas is if there is:

a) another gramma specimen of similar size in the same tank
b) there is a dottyback in the tank

I am with the other boys re: dottyback, what you paid for it will definitely hit the nail on the head as to which fish it is.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby new2marine » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 10:36 am

Where did you buy it from as I haven't seen a Royal in WA for a hell of a long time (I think the last one was at Vebas and that was a private sale and before that Manta 14 months ago) and how much did you pay for it (if less then $120 it is not a Gramma) as Paul has suggested it sounds like a Royal Dottyback (see link below for pictures) the behavior your describing is indicative of this fish (which IMO is a royal PITA) as opposed to a Royal Gramma which is a very peaceful fish.

Steve

oooooooh crap :( thanks for clearing that up..
new2marine
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding