• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Black bar filefish, possible pair? (Courting video added!)

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Black bar filefish, possible pair? (Courting video added!)

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 2:43 pm

I bought a pair of black bar filefish today. Well, atleast I think it's a pair! While I was watching them in the holding tank, every now and then they would sit side by side (facing opposite directions), then swim around for a few seconds like that, then swim off. Seems to me like a bit of courting behaviour! Like to know if anyone has had any experience with these fish.

Ahh, just as i was typing this, one filefish got stuck on my vortech! A mistake I'm hoping will only happen once.....
Last edited by scottrichards on Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity. -Albert Einstein

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 2:44 pm

what is a black bar filefish?

Christian
Chris
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:31 pm

Chris wrote:what is a black bar filefish?

Christian

Oxymonacanthus longirostris

Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:36 pm

Actually Steve, Pervagor janthinosoma.

Just had a bit of a freak out then. Couldn't find one of them! I had literally looked away for 10 seconds, and it was gone! I checked the sump, the floor, the overflow. finally turns out he was hiding in a very discrete cave. I read somewhere that when filefish are in a pair, one will hang out in a cave somewhere and rarely be seen. Yet another sign of a pair! Woo! :thumbsup:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity. -Albert Einstein

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:41 pm

ahhh I see (leather jacket) :thumbsup:

Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:51 pm

Pervagor janthinosoma sounds fancier... :poke:

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 7:16 pm

I am not sur eon their pairing behaviour, check out http://www.MOFIB.org i know some people have been looking into this species or some of its relos at least.

I have a bit of a suspicion this species can be tricky to feed so just keep an eye on it.

Christian
Chris

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 7:49 pm

Cheers Chris. I've already posted up a thread on MOFIB :) No one has done this species yet, but at least I can learn a few things from their relatives. Before I bought the fish, I asked to watch them eat. They went to town on some live brine, and I just saw my male eat some frozen mysis. Female is still hanging out in the cave, which is a bit annoying. I can't even see in there to see if she's alright!

When she comes out, I'll give her some frozen mysis as well.

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:07 pm

Here's a video I took on my phone. Pretty poor quality, but you get the idea. They dance around a bit for the first 20 seconds, and then again for the last 10 seconds. The larger one seems to be the one doing all of the tail flaring, while the smaller one (who lives in the cave most of the time today) shrinks her tail and bends it a bit away from the male.

Video link

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:12 pm

i suspect that could be more an aggresive display rather than spawning, I really dont know, but its the vibe i get form your video. Give it time it can change heaps over time.

Christian
Chris

Postby Tuskfish » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:36 pm

Chris wrote:i suspect that could be more an aggresive display rather than spawning

:withyou:
I tend to agree.
Maybe they have worked out the pecking order and its the loser thats hiding.
I doubt that they would begin courting behaviour so soon after being put in ur tank.
Can u tell I was bent when I wrote this ?
6' Tank by Tuskfish (August 2008 TOTM)
Tuskfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:54 pm

I've seen no biting or nipping though. With other filefish species, it's been noted that a female will spend most of her time hanging out in a cave or home. I guess I'll wait a little while and see what happens. I'll have a look-see and find some other videos of courting to see if I canf ind any similarities

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 11:58 pm

Also, they're now both sleeping in the same cave. I could have possilby picked up a gay pair of filefish I guess...

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 3:46 am

Alright. Had another look, I was wrong. Male is sleeping elsewhere. This whole agression or courting thing is starting to get to me! MOFIB doesn't have much information at all on this particular species, so I've been looking at fish sharing the same genus, in particular Pervagor melanocephalus and Pervagor nigrolineatus

The main thing I want to check (the lights are out right now, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning) is if there are any differences between the two that may suggest different sexes.

"Pervagor melanocephalus - juveniles are monomorphic. In mature specimens, on the caudal peduncle, males have "a vertical row of noticeable bristles about 2 mm long; in the same place, females grow a fuzz that can only bee seen against the light".
-MOFIB website, Link to page

As for courting,

"Pervagor melanocephalus - Parallel swimming with caudal fin flairing (derived from courtship photo)

Pervagor nigrolineatus - Side-by-side swimming with "vibrating"/ tail flicking."

And in the spawning and pairing section:

"Pervagor nigrolineatus - eggs are laid in small caves, below overhangs and at the base of gorgonians, attached in rows. No parental care is provided. "
-May have possibly chosen the cave as a place to lay her eggs?

and

pairing:"It does seem that simply placing a male and female together are all it takes to get a compatible pair. Filefish seem to follow the general reef fish rule that you can't be "overly picky" about the mate you choose! "

Well, thats in my favour then!

And from fishbase.org:
"Adults usually form pairs but often only one is observed while the other one is hiding"

Lastly, a few videos I managed to find were on THIS page. Two of them involve a pair of black bar filefish courting.

Well, after all that research I think I might actually be able to go to sleep now. :thumbsup:

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 4:39 am

Looks like you have the low down on it all!!!

Have alook for the bristles on the male tail base, might be an indicator.

The behaviour you videoed is alot less aggresive than what i got out of 2 juv mimic filefish, so i suspect perhaps yours are just posturing for dominance rights.

Ill have a look at the spawning vids you found a bit later.

Christian
Chris

Postby Fairy Wrassler » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks for this info.

Our latest shipment contains several of each of these:

Flame Filefish - Pervagor melanocephalus
Emerald Filefish - Pervagor janthinosoma

They all look fantastic. We will have a look as soon as we get a chance and have a go at sexing them. It would be great to have pairs.

Thanks again,
Tim
Wonderfish Aquarium (07) 3844 8894
1/331 Montague Rd, West End QLD 4101
http://www.wonderfish.com.au/
Fairy Wrassler
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby scottrichards » Sat 14 Mar, 2009 6:33 pm

Well, no idea why, but found one of the filefish dead yesterday. It had been eating fine, and I saw no evidence whatsoever of nipping or fin biting. So, bit confused by that. Maybe I did have two of the same sex?

Either way, thats the end of that chapter...

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chris » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:00 am

Hi

Sorry about the loss, i assure you when trying to pair fish this is one of those things never written in the books, how pair behaviour is.

I had a pair of mimic filefish and the female even though eating just decided to die, I think sometimes there is no rime or reason to it.

Keep an eye out for another an dyou might be able to try again.

Christian
Chris

Postby Chazcat-2007 » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:19 am

sorry about the loss
i was getting excited as i was reading the thread and the video was awesome
hows the other one doing?
Chazcat-2007
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 1:12 pm

I sold the other one back to the store.

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chazcat-2007 » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 1:31 pm

whats in the tank now?
Chazcat-2007
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 1:50 pm

Rocks, and a few coral :) Tank is looking pretty empty. A good representation of my wallet and bank account!

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding