• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mandarin Breeding Log 2008 Timmysli

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 7:21 pm

I would like to see a marine breeders forum on masa. Maybe even some challenges would also be a great addition :thumbsup:

I'm trying to make some sense when I post sorry if it's a total mess.

I can maybe promise no more Thia but the no beer bit well thats going to be a hard one :cheers:
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby PapaG » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 8:06 pm

I just found this thread. Hope everything works out ok, it would be great if someone worked out how to successfully breed mandarins - they are beautiful fish.
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:15 pm

Bugger just posted something and it disappeared.

I would love to see it myself surely someone else on the rtaw that is an experienced breeder could give it a go.

Short note again.... I put a small hole in the side of the tumbler this afternoon. Now when I want to do a water change I just fill the tumbler up with water past the hole and water slowly leaks out of the hole. No more sucking up poor fry with my turkey baster.

Afraid to say I've noticed some die off today with a few more fry looking pretty sad
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

tim

Postby troy1 » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:34 pm

Tim

the breeding of any saltwater fish is fun
with hit and miss outcomes good to see your still tring

I did have GS clowns breeding and got them to 2/3 weeks old before all died , so i set up breeding and rearing tanks just as i finsihed the tanks the Clowns stopped laying (about 2 months ago) waiting now :bow:

my chocolate head sleeper gobies laid and hatched during the week two days after collecting the fry i still have about 200/300 fry :clap:

tonight when i was looking and clean noticed that my peppermint shrimp have berries more reading to :wall:

all is fun :thumbsup:
enjoy
Troy
troy1
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:44 pm

Hey dude :cheers:

Sounds like you have a lot going on.

2 months worth of waiting sounds harsh. I'm waiting for mine also but at least I haven't been teased like you.

Are the sleeper gobies hard to raise?

:cheers:
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:48 pm

Hows about a peppermint shrimp breeding log. I purchased three peppermints a month ago and two of them had little green eggs under them I'm assuming they were eggs).
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby PaulG » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:51 pm

timmmysli wrote:Hows about a peppermint shrimp breeding log. I purchased three peppermints a month ago and two of them had little green eggs under them I'm assuming they were eggs).

No, no, they are the mints... :poke: :poke: :roflmao:
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:08 pm

Dude :roflmao:

Believe it or not it looks like there will be another spawn tonight. The males going crazy.

I also spotted them practicing the spawn ascent as well. They weren't together but they were going up towards the surface at the same time.

I've also seen the female fighting her reflection! Normally the male spends a large portion of the afternoon fighting his reflection but I have never seen a female do it before.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

tim

Postby troy1 » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm

Hows about a peppermint shrimp breeding log. I purchased three peppermints a month ago and two of them had little green eggs under them I'm assuming they were eggs).

your peps have eggs
troy1
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Adrianvh » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:30 pm

I have a single pep with eggs as well.
Adrianvh
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:40 pm

What's different in this picture? Any guesses.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 10:45 pm

Ahhh I'm hopeless.

Spawn!!!!!!!!

The answer is there doing it with the lights on. And yes they spawned with the lights on!

So much easier to see the eggs. It was a big spawn to so thats even better.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:29 pm

I have at least 40 prolarvae from last nights spawn.

I collected the eggs with the lights on. So from now on thats the way I will do it.

So I guess thats it for hatching. Turn the lights on with the pumps off and suck the eggs up with a turkey baster. Put the eggs in a container and keep them at the same temperature as your display tank. No need to aerate. 18 hours later you will have prolarvae. Three days after that the larvae will have developed to the stage that they will have eyes and a mouth and at this point you should start feeding them.

didn't get around to putting a light on the new 35l bucket yet I assume they need some light. I've put this 40+ hatch into the 35l tub anyway as I'll have more to hatch in my one coke bottle.

The pair are going to spawn again by the looks of it. So nightly spawns are going to be a pretty regular occurrence.

Anyone on the coast that are experienced breeders give me a pm. I have way to many eggs going on. :cheers:
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 1:44 pm

I've gotten lazy or at least lazier and haven't gotten to the beach. I've also let the first batch fade out to only a few.

I do have the bigger tub so I should keep feeding it and adding larvae as I go. Looking in the tube theres a couple of fry swimming around and they seem pretty big in size. I'm going to tip the larvae in the tub from mid last week and I'll see what happens.

Witt's updated his thread and made the comment that he's raised a large number of fry with only rotifers now so it looks like theres some hope but 5 months worth of waiting before there even 1cm sounds like a long wait to me.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Adrianvh » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 2:06 pm

that sort of growth rate sounds like dietary deffeciency to me.
Adrianvh
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby damoztishfank » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 2:18 pm

can i put my name on the first captive bred manderin lol
Cheers Damo
damoztishfank
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 3:40 pm

lol better get in early otherwise it will be a really long wait.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby miskairal » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 8:06 am

5 months might sound a long time but I think you would still have a big market for them and could probably sell them for a little more than wild caught fish. I know I'd happily pay more for a fish I knew was going to eat well and survive.

I agree, the growth rate is really poor though. Not too many animals around that would have offspring grow so slowely - I'm surprised they survivie at all.
Join MASQ Here
Reefpedia - over 1,000,000 page views.
Beginners Guide
"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy" - Spike Milligan (1918-2002)
miskairal
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 8:56 pm

I guess it would depend on a breeders setup. Its a long long long wait but if you have been collecting and raising every spawn after 5months you would have a sizable stock building up.

With mandarin shipping survival rates I would think most lfs would be keen for tank raised.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby abbott75 » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 7:38 pm

Any updates?
abbott75
Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey Abbott,

Sorry but I've gotten really lazy and have let everything go to @#$. Looks like my cultures are pretty much gone so I won't be trying again for some time.

I have to say it was fun just getting to the two week mark. Anyone out there with a mandarin pair should try it. The pair seem to be spawning all over the place now and are doing it with the lights on and some times well before lights out so that's something I had never heard of before.

I'm throwing around the idea of pulling the tank down and moving soon so any plans to setup a big long term breeding system has gone out the window.

Tim
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby abbott75 » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 5:49 pm

Ahh well... it was good while it lasted :)

Maybe some time in the near future commercially spawned manderins will become viable. We can only hope (or try :P)
abbott75
Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm

So long time since I've added anything here.

Ijust watched the mandarins come all the way up to the waters surface (with the lights on) at 10:00pm. They both flicked so hard at the end I was wondering if they ended up in the lights lol

One major lesson learnt is if you want to put a pair of these amazing fish in your tank you have to be prepaired to look after them well. They will most likely spawn every other night and thats a lot of effort lol.
For the last couple of weeks I have been away or at least very busy and the poor guys with there frantic night life have started showing signs of poor health. So I have stepped up the feedings to hopefully get them back into good shape.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby s1214215 » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Everyone

My friend here in Bangkok has managed to raise 1 mandarin to 33 days - mind you he had to leave the hatchlings in the care of his hatchery staff while he was away for a week LOL. So results may have been better if he was around then.
He has been catching plankton at the beach, but finding it less than suitable. Currently he is looking for small foods to replace that.

Brett
s1214215
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Propagation & Breeding