• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

How do Tubastrea reproduce??

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

How do Tubastrea reproduce??

Postby melm » Wed 31 Jan, 2007 11:43 am

I have 2 colonies in my tank and over the past few weeks have noticed tiny single polyps on rocks that are nowhere near the colonies. There are now 5 seperate baby polyps spread around the tank. So how does tubastrea reproduce??

I like tubastrea but don't want to end up with a tank full of it - it's only an 18 inch cube.

:cheers:
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
melm
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dr DBW » Thu 01 Feb, 2007 11:50 am

That is most likely a result of some poly bailout. I have had it happen in my system as well, with a yellow colony. With a heap of them spread throughout the system, including the overflow.

You are unlikely to end up with a tank full of it, as they do need to be constantly fed. If you have some you don't want, break a bit of the rock off and I am sure there will be someone else willing to take them off your hand.
Dr DBW
Witnessed The Cambrian Explosion
RTAW Moderator

Postby lux_06 » Thu 01 Feb, 2007 3:16 pm

while listening to a reefcast they mentioned seeing a tank somewhere that was being fed continulously with cyclopeeze, as it had some rather special gorgonians in it, this tank was also home to some tubastrea's and they commented on how they had spread allover the tank and were reproducing at an amazing rate. so out of interest how often do you feed your colony?
"If the bottle can hold it, So can I"
lux_06
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby melm » Thu 01 Feb, 2007 7:48 pm

it's fed daily

perhaps I should cut back

would a 'bail out' means it's not happy? (no one start on that please :poke: )
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
melm
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dr DBW » Fri 02 Feb, 2007 8:32 am

Typically it does mean that it has been stressed by something, and the bail out is a response to that, hoping that the daughter colonies will take up residence somewhere else, away from what stressed it.
Dr DBW
Witnessed The Cambrian Explosion
RTAW Moderator

Postby melm » Fri 02 Feb, 2007 4:18 pm

ok thanks

I did move it not too long ago

Perhaps it doesn't like its new home after all.

Can't even please he corals :nut:
melm
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Butters » Sun 11 Feb, 2007 10:56 pm

I am pretty sure that many of the Tubastrea sp. are brooders and that they release planula larvae which the settle out in suitable sites.

Much more likely to be a reproductive event than a polyp bail out. Means you are providing the coral enough nutrition/energy to reproduce ,so it is a good sign. The coral is getting the care it should.

If you don't want the other colnies either pass them on to someone who does want them or just don't feed them. Chances are that without direct feeding many will not survive long term.

Cheers Andrew
Butters
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding