• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Excited & Affraid - Sydney :)

New to the RTAW Forums? Please take a minute to check in here, say hi & introduce yourself to your fellow Reefers. Feel free to provide as much or as little info about yourself as you'd like!

Moderator: Moderators

Excited & Affraid - Sydney :)

Postby UnderCoverBrother » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi,

Long time freshwater fish keeper (currently zaire 'chumbu' frontosa),I have never kept saltwater however I think its time for something new and challenging.

I am still thinking if I should go custom build or purchase a cade reef pro (575L) or Red Sea Max (524L).

Depending how this experiment goes will result in me converting my 1300L freshwater system over to marines - however that will be long way down the line.

I must admit I am really scared and overwhelmed by the amount of equipment, additives.
UnderCoverBrother
Curious Reefer

Re: Excited & Affraid - Sydney :)

Postby CanIHazReef » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

I am in the same boat. Welcome - I am still deciding how big and what I will aim to do, but I've settled on building my tank. I'm looking forward to starting my tank journal, and I'm looking forward to someone else starting one too!
CanIHazReef
Curious Reefer

Postby pommie » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:50 pm

My personnel opinion (and what i did as a first timer) is to buy a setup from an existing user.

1. You will save a load of $$$
2. You are more likely to buy a complete setup
3. There are always people selling / upgrading so you shouldn't have to wait too long for something to come up.
pommie
Centurion Reefer

Postby Sailfin » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 2:51 pm

G'day UnderCoverBrother and CanIHazReef

Pommie has given you some good advice a small 2nd hand complete setup and baby steps into marine is the way to go not only saves you $$$$$$$
but you can learn from what gear comes with it you don't need the ants pants of gear start with easy to keep fish and corals and as you learn you will grow with experience knowledge and confidence as you go

A good tip is do a bit of research if you are after an answer to something use the search function you are sure to find help on heaps of questions you will have along the way

Good luck with everything
Smile & have a Nice Day
Sailfin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby UnderCoverBrother » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 1:00 pm

thanks guys,

I must admit, I lost this post and assumed It didn't post due to error.

I am glad I have found it, I have an idea of what I want to do now.

I will definitely start a tank journal when the time arises.

At this stage, I am in no rush to set one up, I am doing as much research as possible.

my only challenge at this stage is where to have the mixing station and how I will refill the tank, if the station is at x and tank placed at y.
UnderCoverBrother
Curious Reefer

Postby michaela » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi there!

Try not to be too overwhelmed. If you can keep freshwater fish alive, you can keep marine fish alive. You just have to know which fishes will get along and which are known to be harder to keep.
"reef aquarium fishes" by Scott W. Michael is a great book for learning which species' do well in aquariums and are ok to keep with corals, shrimp and sea stars. It's small enough to take to the shop as well.

There are heaps of corals that require no more special attention than fish (as long as you have a semi-decent light source). Once you are confident, you can progress from there. Test for a couple more parameters, dose a couple more additives and that lets you add more types of coral.

There can be a tendency to make the hobby seem mysterious and somewhat secretive (there was definitely some voodoo stuff going on when I was getting started), but I learned that this is often a sign of a sales person that doesn't really know the answer to the question - these types/stores rarely have long term successful displays. A tank journal will be a great place to post any questions you have.

Good luck.

Michael.
michaela
Centurion Reefer

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:24 am

Would have loved to start on something bigger than my 90 liter tank but almost 2 years in and I am still learning so much. I have struggled at times and can just imagine if I did this on a big tank how I would have struggled to fix a problem 2 or 3 times the size! I understand a larger tank is more stable and probably 'easier' to keep but also much easier to fix a problem in a smaller tank i.e. large water change or unplanned like moving house!
Slartibartfast
Centurion Reefer

Postby UnderCoverBrother » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 8:14 am

I have 6 tanks, ranging from huge to normal size - they are just freshwater lol - I just wanted something small to dip my toes into the saltwater - thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)
UnderCoverBrother
Curious Reefer

Postby afhtan » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 9:26 am

UnderCoverBrother wrote:thanks guys,

I must admit, I lost this post and assumed It didn't post due to error.

I am glad I have found it, I have an idea of what I want to do now.

I will definitely start a tank journal when the time arises.

At this stage, I am in no rush to set one up, I am doing as much research as possible.

my only challenge at this stage is where to have the mixing station and how I will refill the tank, if the station is at x and tank placed at y.
I have my mixing station in my garage and the Rodi unit in my laundry.

I just run approximately 30m of 1/4" tubing under my house and into the garage.

Have a look through my tank journal for pictures.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
afhtan
Veteran Reefer

Postby Autonomy » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 2:26 am

Hi UnderCoverBrother,

Just wondering how it is all going so far?

Now might be a good time to join and become a member of a Marine Aquarium Society and meet some of the members who can help you out should you still be feeling either excited and/or afraid. It's only a suggestion and of course totally up to you. I've been a member myself, for over five years and I'm sure glad I took a leap of faith and joined, I think it's a great club: http://mass.asn.au/ :-D .
Like you we've all crossed the bridge of excitement, anxiousness, reluctance and trepidation when it comes to reefing (sometimes experienced all at once which can be quite taxing!!!!! :-s ).

There are definitely so many advantages to becoming a member (for those in Sydney it's MASS: Marine Aquarium Society of Sydney, for Melbourne it's MASOV: Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria and so on for different states). The main advantage (speaking for myself) is being able to, and knowing where I can ask plenty of questions (no question is a dumb one) and finding support whenever I need it. You'll get a chance to attend regular meetings, meet all the fab enthusiast's who share this passion, gain and share advice and see how others have set up, and maintain their own systems. Basically, spend several hours in front of different tanks and set-ups talking about everything 'fish'. I could go on forever about what a great fish club MASS is, but I won't as the benefits are already up here and visible on this site.

:cheers:
Laura (Autonomy)
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Member Introductions