• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Hi from Gold Coast.

New to the RTAW Forums? Please take a minute to check in here, say hi & introduce yourself to your fellow Reefers. Feel free to provide as much or as little info about yourself as you'd like!

Moderator: Moderators

Hi from Gold Coast.

Postby JacP » Fri 05 May, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi from the Gold Coast.

I had an 8ft 500 gal marine tank while living in Asia. It was set up in 1990, and I had it for about 20 years. I dived every weekend, so gathered all my own corals, and most of my fish.
I used MH lights and had the usual sump under the tank, in the stand. I lived in a penthouse, so all sorts of drama getting salt water up.I swore that one day, when i move back to Australia, I will set up a new tank, but .... tank must be wider than 75cm, have the sump and noise elsewhere, no MH but T5 or LEDs, etc etc.. our big boys wish list items.

Long story short. We are back in Oz with wife and 3 young kids :-) settled into our house, bought the next door block for space, and are just about to pout the slab on the extension to the lounge. :-)
After much negotiation with my dearest, she got her fireplace and I got my marine tank in the new extension. Good deal, right ?
I have spent the last months reading, researching and trying to get myself up to date with technology and all that has progressed in the hobby. Overwhelming to put it lightly.
I have high expectations for this set up, and it will bring its barrel of problems to achieve it... or most of it.

This is my first posting, so I will not go into the nitty gritty now, as this is just to introduce myself.
I will make a separate posting of the details, wherein I am asking for your indulgence for my inexperience with blogs or sites like this, so i may well make a few mistakes where and how I post. I welcome comments , advise or violent reactions to the concept plans we have.
I was referred to this site to see the set up of Michael as Galleri - I am not sure if he is still a part of this community, but his tank Journal was very impressive and I can only hope to achieve something slightly akin to what and how he did it.

Thanks

Jacques
JacP
Curious Reefer
QLD Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Re: Hi from Gold Coast.

Postby colg » Fri 05 May, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi Jacques, welcome to RTAW!
Very much looking forward to see your plans and watching the build take place.
Hope you are planning another big tank!!

Cheers,
Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby JacP » Fri 05 May, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Col,
thanks.
This is all new to me, so sure I will make mistakes.
I started to fill in the intro form, of what the tank plan is etc.. but got lost with copying the code to achieve it.
Got to the intro, but left it at that and will try to complete with tank specs later, as updates, once I am more clued up.
Jac
JacP
Curious Reefer
QLD Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Alf D » Sat 06 May, 2017 10:30 am

Welcome Jac,
for the Tank Journal intro just copy and paste the whole lot and then replace the unwanted text with your specs, no need to copy the code individually.
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby JacP » Sat 06 May, 2017 8:36 pm

Tks Alf... in the meantime I think I managed to get the into to my Tank Journal uploaded, and will for sure need to re-visit this in the near future, to upgrade and update it all.
Glad I am even able to unload anything to be frank. :-)
Jac
JacP
Curious Reefer
QLD Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby JacP » Sat 06 May, 2017 8:39 pm

On seconf thought, to save a lot of wasted time, repeating, pls enlighten me.
If I want to now take the time to upload the tanks background, and concept design, where should I best do it, in the Journal or here ??
Jac
JacP
Curious Reefer
QLD Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby wayne2.0 » Sat 06 May, 2017 8:52 pm

Journal, will be easyer to follow it along too.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby colg » Sat 06 May, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi Jac,
I just checked out your journal. It's a good start, but it has been posted in the wrong section :-s

I don't have the skill or permission? To move it to the correct forum. I'm sure someone will? If not you can go back to the post, select edit in the top right corner, and copy your entire post.
It should be in the sub forum tanks over 800l in the tank journal section.

Shoot me a message if you need help :cheers:

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby JacP » Sun 07 May, 2017 10:55 am

Col,
like I said, humor me till i get a handle of navigating this site :-)
I pasted the intro into the Tank Journal 800l section..I hope and will start to upload some of the plans, images and status today.
Thanks for your help
Jac
JacP
Curious Reefer
QLD Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Return to Member Introductions